We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International licence

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
International licence

Im travelling with mates to USA and Canada, is it possible to buy a car in Canada, register and insure it without a permanent address, then drive it around USA and Canada without any problems with registration and whatnot. Ill have an international licence, while Im there.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,923 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International licence

There is no such thing as an "international licence". There is an International Driving Permit which is only necessary to obtain if the travellers licence is not written in the language of countries being visited - it only provides a translation of the travellers own licence.

I will leave it to the locals to provide further advice, but I am pretty sure I know what the answer will be.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,185 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International licence

If you do a search for "buying a car" in the search box above, you will find a multitude of posts on this topic. Short answer is that it is rather difficult.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,107 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International licence

I know of foreign nationals who have bought and used a car for say six months then sell it. You might have to have some type of local address. A friend for example. For official information in British Columbia contact: http://tinyurl.com/hs5wb

Once registered you can travel Canada/USA with travel documents and your Aussie driver's licence.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,954 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International licence

Hi Jacksonc24;

*IF* you are able to buy a car in Canada, and take it to the US, you'll likely have a had time selling it there.

All cars sold in Canada have their readouts in Metric measurements, whereas the Americans use Imperial measurements.

Best Regards

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,107 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International licence

Oh, there was no mention of selling the Canadian plated car in the USA...that opens a different issue. Once registered in BC with a local address, US Customs might require a DOT form HS-7 which allows the import but prohibits selling the car in the USA. Depends on the US Customs guy at the border. Guess a good idea would be to download the form and have it ready if/when the question is asked. Google DOT form HS-7 for a download. Section 5 applies.

Edited: 09 January 2014, 01:27
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,104 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International licence

No one in Canada will sell you insurance--with no Canadian drivers licence, and no Canadian driving experience, virtually no normal insurance company would touch you.

Edited: 09 January 2014, 02:42
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,107 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: International licence

Nonsense. The contact provided will explain how in British Columbia.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,104 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: International licence

Ok,my error and should have realized OP was starting in BC with ICBC. However, I can tell you if he starts in Ontario, no private insurer will touch him.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: International licence

You might also have a look at the road trips forum US section lots of discussion about this there as well.

10. Re: International licence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 06:19