We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two-Week driving Route Vancouver, Banff/Jasper, Vancouver

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sandwich, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
539 reviews
Save Topic
Two-Week driving Route Vancouver, Banff/Jasper, Vancouver

Hi everyone!

We, a retired couple, will be leaving Vancouver by car at 12 noon on 24 June and returning it at Vancouver Airport at 12 noon on 8 July. I´d appreciate any suggestions for an itinerary to include Whistler, Banff, Jasper and the best scenic drives in between without overdoing the driving per stage. We´ll be staying in hotels/motels. I understand hotels get very full around Canada Day. Thanks very much in advance for your help :-)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,009 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two-Week driving Route Vancouver, Banff/Jasper, Vancouver

Welcome to the forum, IgelEye ~

I see you are at what seems to be the initial stages of planning. I can get you started with some suggestions.

We don't know your interests. What things do you want to do and see when you go to a new place? You mention only "scenic drives."

Firstly, I personally discourage a visit to Whistler when the Rockies are a destination in the same trip. The Rockies will trump Whistler and the time can be much better enjoyed in the Rockies. Make sure you know exactly why you want to go to Whistler rather than going because it looked "nice" in a brochure somewhere.

14 nights, round trip from Vancouver. Perhaps the following route, which may not be your choice after you do more research:

3 nights Vancouver

1 night Penticton via Hwy 3 and Keremeos

1 night Revelstoke

3 nights Banff

one full day on the Icefields Parkway

3 nights Jasper

one bonus full day on the Icefields Parkway

1 night Golden

1 night Kelowna

1 night Vancouver

Here is a map of this route with driving times and distances in the left sidebar: http://goo.gl/maps/WYxSP

Via Whistler:

2 nights Vancouver

1 night Whistler

1 night Clinton (looks like a detour, but driving times will be consistent and it is a typical high country, dry, desert-like town in the Cariboo

1 night Revelstoke

3 nights Banff

one full day

3 nights Jasper

one full day

1 night Golden

1 night Kelowna

1 night Vancouver

Map of this route: http://goo.gl/maps/NeGa9

---

Some places to look to further your planning.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154922-c184601/Briti…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154922-c120076/Briti…

www.hellobc.com

Read other questions being asked and the replies being given on this forum and the Canadian Rockies Forum. Link is here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g659487-i11598-Can…

Points of interest on the Icefields Parkway that makes it worthwhile to do it in both directions. Look below the image that opens here to open the PDF version of the map. More legible: pc.gc.ca/eng/…Parkway.aspx

From the Banff Forum's Top Questions (Read the Top Questions on every forum): tripadvisor.com/Travel-g659487-c112507/Canad…

When you have researched a bit, developed a provisional itinerary that you think will suit you, please post it on this forum for some concrete feedback.

If you are not locked in to flights and car rental, you might consider a one way from Vancouver to Calgary which would give you a much richer experience by trading in those 3 return nights to Vancouver for a few longer stays in locations across the province. Canadian Affair rents cars without the one way drop fee.

https://www.canadianaffair.com/en/car-hire/

Sandwich, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two-Week driving Route Vancouver, Banff/Jasper, Vancouver

Hi MuftiMixandmatch,

Your input is much appreciated - thanks a lot! Our itinerary is as follows:

Day 1. Vancouver - Whistler

Day 2. Whistler - Lilloet -Cache Creek - Kamloops

Day 3. Kamloops - Barriere - Tete Jaune Cache - Jasper

Days, 4, 5, 6 Jasper

Day 7. Jasper - Banff

Days 8,9,10 Banff

Day 11. Banff - Invernere - Cranbrook

Day 12. Cranbrook - Nelson - Castlegar - Osoyoos - Pentitcton

Day 13. Penticton - Kelowna - Vernon - West Okanagan Lake - Penticton

Day 14. Pentictin - Hope - Vancouver

When we´re in Banff, would you recommend a day-trip to Calgary? What about the loop Banff, Lake Louise, Golden, Radium Hot Springs and back to Banff? Is it a recommendable day trip? - Cheers!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,495 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two-Week driving Route Vancouver, Banff/Jasper, Vancouver

Day 2 - adjust your route and end point as follows. Much more scenic, IMO.

http://goo.gl/maps/G8TrB

Whistler-Lillooet-Clinton-Clearwater

Clearwater is the jumping off point for the very lovely Wells Grey Provincial Park, home to many different and interesting waterfalls.

Day 11 - Cranbrook isn't much of a town really. I haven't been to Kimberley in a very long time, but it tries a bit harder to be charming. Otherwise you might look at pressing on as far as Creston, or better still Nelson if you can manage it, but if you are planning to stop at Fort Steele then probably not.

Day 12 - given that this is a long driving day, you don't really have time to detour up to Nelson. You'll just head directly to Castlegar from Salmo. Nelson is lovely, but you need a day there to appreciate it. A detour through Trail and Rossland might make more sense in this instance.

The rest works for me.

Sandwich, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two-Week driving Route Vancouver, Banff/Jasper, Vancouver

Hi Vancouververite67,

I have taken your advice and changed our route accordingly:

Day 2: Clearwater

Day 11: Nelson

Thanks a lot!

5. Re: Two-Week driving Route Vancouver, Banff/Jasper, Vancouver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2015, 06:18