We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

going to canada for the first time

santo domingp
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
going to canada for the first time

Hi, it is great to know some one can help here at tripadvisor.

I'm planning to take my parents to Canada and we really like to do the shortest possible trip to the Rocky mountainner and also visit Toronto and Montreal. I know the country is large but I'm willing to invest in transportation (flights, train or buses in order to do it). we will departure from the Dominican Republic with direct flights to Vancouver, montreal or Toronto.

I need an advice of the itinerary, where to begin, fastest way to reach one point to another, and any helpful advices. I only have 10 day for all of this and we want to do it in august.

I like tight itineraries no waste of time at all

Thanks

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: going to canada for the first time

just need to clarify...you say a possible trip to "rocky mountaineer". that is a train ride that goes between banff and vancouver or jasper and vancouver. did you mean that you want to take this trip? or, did you just mean that you would like to go to the rocky mountains? it makes a difference because if it is not the train ride you want, then you could fly into calgary in order to get to the rocky mountains (banff, alberta) faster. (the rockey mountaineer train ride is VERY expensive but very good and lets you see bc scenary but takes 2 full days and you don't have much time). please confirm that first so we can help with the itinerary.

if you checking internal air fares, the main airlines in canada are air canada and westjet.

Edited: 17 January 2014, 13:36
santo domingp
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: going to canada for the first time

Well we would like to take the train in order to enjoy the view but if there is another way to enjoy the scenic view like riding a bus we can consider it. My only concern with the train is to spend 2 days and get bored.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,194 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: going to canada for the first time

You can take the regular VIA Rail "The Canadian" from Vancouver to Jasper. At Jasper, you could then transfer to a bus to take you down the famed Icefields Parkway to Banff. From Banff, you can take a bus to Calgary, and then fly to Toronto.

Or you could do it in reverse.

But bear in mind The Canadian only travels 2 -3 times a week (depending on time of year).

http://www.viarail.ca/

The reality is that distances are vast, and it does take close to two days to get from Vancouver through the mountains.

Edited: 17 January 2014, 19:14
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,774 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: going to canada for the first time

Check the flights. Air Transat does fly from Puerto Plata to Vancouver, but only twice a week I think. That may change depending on the time of year. And I have no idea whether they fly into Santo Domingo. Punta Cana, yes!

You can enjoy the Rockies on the train trip to Banff, then fly from Calgary to Toronto or Montreal. You can use the train between these two cities, or fly. And then fly back to DR from Toronto. Play around with the airfares to see which direction gives you the best price.

August is our summertime, and it can be busy with tourists, and families holidaying before school starts up again in September.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,151 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: going to canada for the first time

Fly to Calgary, drive two hours to Banff. 2-3 nights Banff, 2 nights Jasper. Drive 5 hours to Calgary. Fly to Toronto. 2-3 nights Toronto. VIA Rail to Montréal. 2-3 nights Montréal. Fly home. You may have night to spare. Add it to the location you like, or if your flight is late arriving to Calgary, spend 1 night there. Decide whether Banff, TO or MTL gets 2 or 3 nighrs. Arrange to make 10 nights.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,664 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: going to canada for the first time

All that in ten days?? Exhausting. I would recommend that you do the trip east to west in order to have the time zones in your favour. If the Rocky Mountains are on your list, the best point of access is Calgary, not Vancouver.

santo domingp
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: going to canada for the first time

Ok. Great, I agree the east to west trip is a great advice.

Thank you all... everything noted

8. Re: going to canada for the first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 06:18