We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Columbia, Stweart-Cassiar Highway in early May

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
British Columbia, Stweart-Cassiar Highway in early May

I'm a 68 years old lady and I travel a lot by myself. Last year I drove more than12,000 km trough the USA and Canada in five weeks, all by myself. I'm not crazy, though, and I always plan very well my trips, I don't drive at night, I stay in places that look safe, etc.

Having said that, I'm ready to go on my biggest adventure ever, driving from Edmonton to Whitehorse on the Alaska Highway and coming back through the Stweart-Cassiar highway. I'd do that in the first two weeks of May. my concerns are about the Cassiar highway, although advice on the Alaska highway would be also welcome.:

1. the weather in the beginning of May - i don't want to drive on slippery roads with lots of snow. I know no one can predict exactly how the weather will be, but some idea would be nice.

2. Will the motels, hotels, and especially the campgrounds be open in early May?

3. I don't have major health problems, but being 68 there are always some small issues and I would feel insecure to drive long stretches without seeing anyone on the road. Do you think there's a good chance that I'll be the only driver on the Cassiar?

Thank you very much, any answer will be a great help.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,170 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British Columbia, Stweart-Cassiar Highway in early May

Hi

This is a good site to start researching: …gov.bc.ca/popular-topics/…tips.html

this blog has some relevant info and is a great read. warrenhenke.com/blogs/travel/alaska-motorcyl…

and this tourism brochure with great links to everything touristy in the area. www.stewartcassiarhighway.com/trip-planning/

You may have better luck about temps in the Yukon forum tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g155045-i1403-Yukon…

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: British Columbia, Stweart-Cassiar Highway in early May

Thanks, I'll check the three sites!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British Columbia, Stweart-Cassiar Highway in early May

Four sites, sorry! hahaha

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,097 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: British Columbia, Stweart-Cassiar Highway in early May

I don't know that area, but the following travel journal is part of a Trip Report in the Top Questions to the right side of this page. It is set for the first section of many and you can link through to the sections you wish to read about. Photos galore. I believe the time was August-September.

leelau.net/sharonandlee/…

5. Re: British Columbia, Stweart-Cassiar Highway in early May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 06:21