We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canada/Alaska Trip May 2014

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Canada/Alaska Trip May 2014

Trip of a lifetime !! . . . . . (posted in Alaska forum too)

I have googled for days, weeks & months & spent countless hours reading truly valuable posts about self drive through Canada & Alaska

There is so much to see & do and the alternate routes are confusing me even more as to which one to choose and 'why'. I don't want to compromise something spectacular for choosing the wrong route. (Although it looks awesome anyway we go)

So far we've been able to map out the start & finish but it's the middle bit that's hard to choose because we can only choose one way to go.

MAY 22 2014

Day 1 Arrive & spend day in Seattle & then RV collection late afternoon

Day 2 Departing Seattle head to & spend day in Vancouver

Day 3 Travel to Vancouver Island down to Victoria, up to Campbell River, back to Nanaimo

Day 4 Nanaimo to Kamloops via either Whistler or Hope (don't know which way to choose)

Day 5 Kamloops to Calgary via Lake Louise & Banff

Day 6 Calgary to . . . .

This is where we don't know where to diversify, obviously we will go through Jasper, but from there we're at a loss as what way to choose to go along.....

Day 12 or 13 Fairbanks

Day 14 Denali National Park

Day 15 Return the RV & then spend day doing return trip to Seward

Fly to Vancouver do 7 day inside passage back to Anchorage

Spend day in Anchorage & fly back to Seattle for next day departure

Please, Please, Please, your input is much appreciated and valued. So far I have loved all my my months of research but it's getting closer to leaving now & would love some really honest advice.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Sharon

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,389 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Canada/Alaska Trip May 2014

Day 15-you're allowed to rent in Seattle and drop off in Alaska?

Doesn't that means throwing down large?

Extremely large?

Anyway it's altogether too much driving, driving, driving I appreciate that Australians are accustomed to long drives but you have little time to actually visit most places along the way.

IMNSHO the reason your itinerary falls apart toward the end is that you're trying to fit too much into too little time-I could pick apart some of the laughably optimistic parts like one day to see Vancouver Island-which is 500 km long-but that wouldn't be polite.

What about taking the Alaska Ferries back to Bellingham then onto Seattle if you need to include a sea journey

that would fit the bill-however I strongly suggest you forget about driving to Alaska altogether.

2. Re: Canada/Alaska Trip May 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 February 2014, 08:23
Edited: 12 February 2014, 08:23
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,936 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canada/Alaska Trip May 2014

I see on your other thread you have booked a Princess cruise from Vancouver to Alaska on June 7th.

And you have hired the RV already in Seattle for what I understand is a relocation of the RV from Seattle to Alaska. Is that correct?

This is important information to include in a post so that people don't spend needless time creating something workable for you.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,566 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canada/Alaska Trip May 2014

You will not see anything on this trip except highways. Skip Vancouver Island at least.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,088 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canada/Alaska Trip May 2014

"I see on your other thread you have booked a Princess cruise from Vancouver to Alaska on June 7th."

I missed that point when replying on the Alaska thread. So returning the R/V to Anchorage (if you can?) fly to Vancouver, cruise to Whittier then travel to Anchorage to fly...... somewhere. That is a disastrous wast of time and money. Let alone the rest of the trip being nothing more than a drive thru.

I liked this description on the Alaska thread:

"it's like going to DisneyWorld and never leaving the parking lot"

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canada/Alaska Trip May 2014

Thank you muftimixandmatch, I appreciate the advice to include other info.

Yes RV booked & paid for one way from Seattle to Anchorage unlimited mileage.

Yes cruise booked and paid for depart Vancouver to anchorage with return flight to Seattle - no issues with this portion, just how best to utilise 16 days/15 nights on the road up to Anchorage.

I loved the quote "it's like going to DisneyWorld and never leaving the parking lot" too Frommy :) sinks the point home !

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canada/Alaska Trip May 2014

Thank you SamSalmon

I don't know what IMNSHO means, sorry :( & I do appreciate your honesty, this is what I'm looking for, thanks.

I apologise for my naivety when it comes to your country but we surely would love to see some of the best it has to offer. Want to get the trip down pat before we arrive :) :)

calgary
Level Contributor
4,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canada/Alaska Trip May 2014

Day 3 - Vancouver to Victoria = 4 hours (drive to ferry, ferry ride, drive into Victoria); Victoria to Campbell River = 3 hours; Campbell River to Nanaimo = 1.5 hours. You've just spent 8.5 hours without stopping for food, gas, or even to take a picture.

You really need to re-think this trip as you're wasting your money trying to get all of this in.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,552 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Canada/Alaska Trip May 2014

As I said on the Alaska thread, if the RV dates and the cruise are fixed as I think the are, drop VI and the Rockies and just head up to Alaska (roughly one week there, one week in Alaska).

Mombear has made a good suggestion on the Alaska forum, along these lines.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,566 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canada/Alaska Trip May 2014

IMNSHO. " in my not so humble opinion"

Yes skip the Rockies and Vancouver Island. At least that way you'll actually be able to get outside the RV and see something.