We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clearwater to Victoria

Bath
Level Contributor
1 post
58 reviews
Save Topic
Clearwater to Victoria

We have booked a trip to Canada in Mid August - Early September 2014, I've booked accommodation for most of our itinerary, but can't decide the best route between Clearwater and Victoria. We have one night to stay in between the two places. I've done quite a lot of reading on the forums and think there are two main options. Either down via Fraser Canyon with an overnight in Hope, or across towards Whistler with an overnight in that area. Is it worth the extra driving to go via Whistler so we get to do the 'sea-to-sky highway'?

We will be travelling by car.

In case this helps our full itinerary looks like this:

* Fly into calgary stay one night

* 3 nights Banff

* 3 nights Jasper

* 2 nights clearwater

* 1 night ??

* 2 nights Victoria

* 3 nights Vancouver

* Fly out from Vancouver

Thanks!

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,586 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Clearwater to Victoria

I'd say one night in Pemberton only 20 minutes from Whistler-the Sea to Sky isn't the only attraction on that route the road through the Coast Mountains has views as stunning as anything in the Rockies.

You could then catch the ferry out of Horseshoe Bay and drive from Nanaimo south to Victoria-some stops of note on that route if you're so inclined.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,918 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clearwater to Victoria

Toitally agree with Sam from Clearwater travel south to Little Fort then turn west onto hwy 24.. go across to hwy 97 ( You'll come out near mile 93) then turn south and join up with hwy 99 through Lillouet to Pemberton. A really scenic road with pull outs along the river and stunning views of the Fraser canyon near Lillouet.

The next morning travel down through Whistler to the Horseshoe Bay ferry and then across to Nanaimo. You may want to make ferry reservations depending if you're near the Labor Day weekend. Not as many ferries from HSB but the village itself is a nice place to kill a few hours if need be. You could also plan to stop along the way at Britania Mine, or Shannon Falls.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,261 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clearwater to Victoria

The Duffy Lake Road is very pretty, as is the Fraser Canyon, and the Fraser Canyon is quite different to anything else you will see on this trip. I'll join the others and give a slight edge to the Whistler route, but either route has its advantages.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,373 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clearwater to Victoria

You are already aware that the Whistler route will add more time to the full distance than straight down to Hope and Victoria. But IMO, the scenery overall will be superior to Hwy 5.

There is an article on the Vancouver Forum in the Top Questions to the right of the page that outline what there is to see between Whistler and Horseshoe Bay.

5. Re: Clearwater to Victoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 06:18