We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak to Portland

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
218 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak to Portland

Hi we are a middle age couple travelling from Vancouver BC to Portland by train.

What is the best way to do this.

Book now or wait for 'weekly specials'?

Is there any alternative to Amtrak?

Is paying the extra for first class worth it?

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak to Portland

Only one train company, Amtrak and it goes via Seattle so viewing the Seattle forum for the Seattle to Portland leg might be worthwhile. Schedule and rates are on their website. First class is worth it to me on most trains but it has been a long time since I used this train. At the time FC got me preferred customs/immigration and preferred seating. West side of the southbound train has best ocean views. By the way, you clear US customs and immigration in Vancouver before boarding so you'll want your travel doc's at check-in.

Edited: 23 February 2014, 11:45
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
218 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak to Portland

Thanks. What's FC?

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak to Portland

First class

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
218 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak to Portland

Of course! Sorry ...and thanks for your post.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,072 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrak to Portland

Depending on when you're travelling the train does get sold out ...and usually booking ahead does get you better rates.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,165 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amtrak to Portland

if you buy 14 days prior its 25% off. For Srs there is always a discount. I just took the train from Vanc to Seattle. Business class was $18 more and they give you a $3 coupon for food or coffee. Fewer people in your car but honestly not much difference in seats etc. Biggest advantage is early boarding in Vancouver. Hoping you do the morning train so its in daylight.

7. Re: Amtrak to Portland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 06:19