We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit?

Quirindi, New South...
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to visit?

I hope I am not missing it I have looked at the top questions. I am starting on planning our trip to Canada, I am thinking 3 weeks. I still have plenty of time but am such a big organiser. I am hoping to go to Vancouver, banff national park, Jaspar, Whister, Calgary (obviously not in that order).

I am hoping to use some of the Australian school holidays so the kids don't miss out on to much school. We have never seen the snow so are not big skiers but to see the snow and try to ski would be nice but not necessary. So the Aust holidays are usually 2 weeks over easter (will be mid April the year we are going), 2 weeks end of July, 2 weeks end of September beginning Oct or 6 weeks end of Dec and all of January. Which school holidays would you choose? Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,018 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit?

Either July or Sept/Oct. July will have the best chance of good weather, early Oct. will give you a chance of new snow in the Rockies, but not so much that it will cause problems with driving...probably...most likely.... :)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,743 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit?

FYI, we have Canada Day on July 1st. BC Day (in BC) and Heritage Day (in AB) on the first Monday of August. Labour Day the first Monday of September, when the kids then go back to school for the year. And Thanksgiving Day on the 2nd Monday in October. Except for Thanksgiving (for tourists) they are busy long weekends.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit?

I think July is best - you have the best chance for good weather. Your Easter break might coincide with BC's spring break, and April can be wet - and cold. December/January would be great if all you wanted to do is ski, but a lot of attractions are closed and driving can be dangerous if you aren't used to snow conditions. End Sept/early Oct can be cold and probable snow conditions as well. Not sure how old your kids are but I'd think the best weather possible to keep them occupied. Of course in July there isn't much chance for skiing. Three weeks would be the minimum - it's a long way and a few bucks so make the most of whatever time you can stretch it to.

Edited: 07 March 2014, 03:42
Quirindi, New South...
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit?

The kids will be 12, 10, 8 and 7 so would probably really like the snow. Maybe I should look at the Sep holidays. Driving does worry me though. Glad I asked though bc I was thinking April and seems I was very wrong there.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,743 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit?

www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3…

The above Weatherbase website will tell you ave precip and snowfall by month. It's set for Banff, you can check out the other towns. It can snow at any time in the Rockies.

April can be tricky on the highways from about Kamloops east to the Rockies, or ~5 hours. There is the risk of snow and more importantly the risk of avalanches. There may be an actual avalanche, but usually they know where the risks are and stop traffic then blast the unstable slabs of snow down. Traffic waits until this is done.

I think you'd be fine in September. There will be some Trip Reports (in the Top Questions) by some who visited in September.

6. Re: Best time to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2014, 14:42
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,181 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to visit?

If you want a winter visit to the Rockies with a full choice of winter activities, the best time would be in your Dec/Jan break. April could be considered too, if you want to see snow and go downhill skiing or snowboarding ... there is still snow on the peaks in April, and the ski resorts are still operating, but in the townsites, it's early spring, most of the snow is usually gone and what remains are dirty, ugly snowbanks (where snow was piled from ploughing the roads), so it's not the most visually appealing time. Also, many winter activities like ice skating, toboganning, cross country skiing etc. are finished for the season, but summer activities like hiking, canoeing etc. are not yet available.

The one downside to a Dec/Jan holiday is that sometimes we can have VERY cold weather at that time of year.... very cold by *our* standards, not yours. LOL There are a handful of days most winters here in the Jasper area when it is so cold that the ski resort closes the lifts. Of course, weather being weather, it's impossible to predict .... this winter, we had wonderful, mild temperatures all through then .... kind of ironic in that central and eastern North America were plunged into the deep freeze of the "arctic vortex", while we here in the mountains were having one of the mildest winters in years.

If you come in Sept/Oct, there is chance of snow - it starts falling on the peaks, sometimes as early as mid-September. We don't normally get snow in the townsites (in the valley bottom) until November though.

One possibly very large disadvantage to coming here for a winter holiday is that the cost of winter outerwear for a family of six is going to be substantial. Then there are the complications about getting around .... winter driving considerations etc. Public transportation is pretty limited and the cost for six people is going to be substantially more than renting a vehicle, but on the other hand, if you have no winter driving experience, driving is not really recommended.

8. Re: Best time to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2015, 06:20