We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian Rockies or Belize

Level Contributor
404 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Canadian Rockies or Belize

I'm looking for feedback and posting this in a few forums. We're a family of 4 with an 18 & 22 year old. Looking to travel in July for about 10 days. Would like activities like hiking, zip lining, kayaking, horse back riding, etc as well as some "down time" for relaxing a bit also. I picked these 2 locations that we've never been to. They have a lot of similarities and differences as well. We're from NJ and I'm looking to compare experiences, costs, travel time etc. Any pros or cons, weather its the time of year, strength of US $ or personal experience would be appreciated.

Vancouver Water Adventures
Kayaking & Canoeing, City Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Water Sports, Boat Tours
North Island Kayak
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
Ocean River Sports
Equipment Hire, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,117 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian Rockies or Belize

You've posted in the British Columbia forum. The Canadian Rockies forum is here, tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g659487-i11598-Cana…

You might also want to explain more about what you want to get out of the experience, aside from what physical activities, since you're talking about two very different countries.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,049 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian Rockies or Belize

You can do all those activities here in the Canadian Rockies national parks, except for zip lining - but there are zip lines nearby, outside of the parks. The Canadian Rockies national parks (Banff, Jasper, Yoho, Kootenay and adjoining BC provincial parks) are a UNESCO World Heritage Site. We normally recommend a minimum of five nights/six days split between Banff and Jasper, just to see the popular tourist attractions - additional time is better, especially if you want to have time for activities. There are thousands of kilometres of hiking trails here; you could visit here for weeks and not repeat hikes.

Weather - Belize will be warmer. ;-) But it's summer here, warm days and cool nights.

The US dollar is strong right now against the Canadian dollar, which is an advantage to Americans coming to visit here.

By the way, although the Canadian Rockies are partly in British Columbia (the provincial forum in which you have posted), much of the range is actually in Alberta, and the Canadian Rockies forum here on TA is located in the Alberta forums. There are plenty more mountain ranges in BC besides the Rockies - the Columbias, including the Selkirks, Monashees, Purcells etc., and the Coast ranges are all between the Rockies and Vancouver; the Rockies themselves are quite a narrow range, only about 150 km wide (that's about 90 miles) and straddle the BC/Alberta border. I mention this because a lot of people think that all of the mountains in western Canada are the "Canadian Rockies".

If it is the Canadian Rockies you mean specifically (in your title, one of the two destinations you are considering), one of the biggest differences, imo, is that the Rockies are a huge block of pristine wilderness - Jasper National Park alone is half the size of Belize, and when you add in all the parks that comprise the UNESCO World Hertiage Site, they are likely an area larger than Belize. (I didn't do the math, but Belize is just under 23,000 square kilometres, and Banff and Jasper National Parks together are over 17,000 square kilometres.)

Edited: 07 March 2014, 19:43
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,948 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadian Rockies or Belize

No mountains in Belize, no ruins in the Rockies.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,512 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadian Rockies or Belize

I would give some serious thought to undertaking adventure activities like zip lining in some countries. We went zip lining at Whistler last year and there was a Mexican family on the tour. They told us about zip lining in Mexico - how they stop you, what the equipment looks like. Yeah, no way. I'd feel there was a better chance of inspection and licensing in Canada.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadian Rockies or Belize

two very different destinations...both are great but i think you need to discuss more with your family on what they want...lakes or ocean? mountains or cayes? different culture from nz - belize, similar culture nz - canada. if history, mayan ruins, interest you...then belize (with a possible side trip to tikal in guatamla)

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
18,607 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadian Rockies or Belize

"nz"?

OP is from NJ.

salsa savant
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canadian Rockies or Belize

If July is anything like September in Belize it will be stinking hot. We blew off 3 very expensive nights at a Mountain Lodge to head for the ocean and enjoy snorkeling. It was very very hot to hike in, even up in their mountains. If you need to go in July (& if the weather is like September, which it likely is) and you want to do all those activities then I'd do Canadian Rockies.

8. Re: Canadian Rockies or Belize

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2015, 05:18