We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver to Salmon arm

billericay
Level Contributor
78 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver to Salmon arm

Picking up our car early morning at Vancouver airport and driving to Salmon Arm for an overnight stop on our way to Canmore (arrive late afternoon the day before and staying at the Fairmont in the airport).

Just wondered what the best route was as far as a scenic ride with a few stops on the way ?

Most direct seems to be the 5 via Kamloops, just wondered if going via Kelowna on the 97 would be more rewarding for our first real day in Canada.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,623 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver to Salmon arm

The best route IMO is Hwy 3 to Osoyoos, then up the Okanagan Valley to Kelowna, Vernon and Salmon Arm. But it's 5 hours to Osoyoos then 3 hours or so to SA. Plenty of things to see on that route.

The Coquihalla Hwy 5 from Hope up to Kamloops was built as more of a conveyer belt (my words) to get freight and people up into the Interior in an hour less time. So 4 hours to Kelowna. There are few places to stop, it's one long haul up to the Coquihalla Summit of 1200 m then one long slide down to Merritt. The scenery out the window is fine.

Popping over to Kelowna and then up to SA would be the saving grace as the OK Valley is beautiful. You might not want to drive the longer route with Manning Park and the easy Lightnjng Lakes Loop, Hedley, Allison Pass, Keremeos, the Desert Museum in Osoyoos.

Crowsnest Hwy 3, with links at the end to town information:

britishcolumbia.com/regions/towns/index.asp…

The Coke: britishcolumbia.com/regions/towns/index.asp…

Do you need to keep it to one stop on the way to Canmore? What about Kelowna and then Revelstoke.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,623 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver to Salmon arm

Or Hwy 3 to Penticton, a less busy city than Kelowna (6 hours) and then Revy.

billericay
Level Contributor
78 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver to Salmon arm

Thanks Muffi

I’ll get the map out again and have another look at the routes you have suggested.

Prefer to keep it to one overnight stop on way to Canmore as we like to get to our base sooner.

So it looks like going via Kelowna will be a good compromise.

Thanks for the info.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,049 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver to Salmon arm

Actually, I really like highway 1 up the Fraser Canyon through Lytton. If you want something interesting, leave the main highway at Ashcroft and make your way to Kelowna via Logan Lake, then on to Salmon Arm from there.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,345 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver to Salmon arm

I was also going to suggest Vancouverite's route. The Fraser Canyon is spectacular and the cross country route through Logan Lake takes you through different terrain.

billericay
Level Contributor
78 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver to Salmon arm

Thanks For all the suggestions.

If I'm reading the map correctly Hwy1 -Lytton- Ashcroft - Logan lake - Kelowna- Salmon arm does seem to mean you are switching back on yourself,

Rather than taking Hwy 5, I think after a transatlantic flight the day before we will just go for the slightly less direct and more scenic route via hwy 97 to Kelowna will be the best option giving us more time out of the car

We will be driving back to Vancouver so I may use one of the longer routes for our return.

Thanks again all

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,345 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vancouver to Salmon arm

The shortest most direct route to Kelowna is Highway 5..the Coquahalla. to Merritt .which then connects to hwy 97C from Merritt over to hwy 97 to Kelowna (which is known as "the Connector".) From here you continue on 97 through Kelowna to Vernon where you pick up 97 A to Salmon Arm which is at the juncture of highway 1.

The most direct route to Salmon Arm which will be a bit longer but very scenic is simply to stay on highway 1 all the way through Hope, Lytton, Cache Creek, Kamloops to Salmon Arm.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,623 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vancouver to Salmon arm

The longer routes are:

Hwy 1 up the Fraser Canyon to Lytton, Kamloops to Salmon Arm. (~6.5 hours, stops extra.)

Hwy 1 to Hope, Hwy 3 to Osoyoos/Keremeos and up 97 to Salmon Arm. (~7.5 hours, stops extra.)

The shortest route is:

Hwy 1 to Hope, Hwy 5 to Kamloops, Hwy 1 to Salmon Arm. (~5 hours)

The middle length route will be:

Hwy 1 to Hope, Hwy 5 to Merrit, Hwy 97C to Kelowna then north to Salmon Arm. (~6 hours)

I support your choice to go to Kelowna and up to Salmon Arm. Consider stopping in to The Village Cheese in Armstrong to stretch your legs and enjoy.

You don't say how many nights you have to play with, but on the way back consider:

1 night Revelstoke

2 nights Nelson

1 night Osoyoos

back to Vancouver

This is why (Nelson area): hellobc.com/driving-routes/22/silvery-slocan…

And the free Inland ferry #13 between Revy and Nelson: www.th.gov.bc.ca/marine/ferry_schedules.htm

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,049 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vancouver to Salmon arm

The route via Logan Lake was recommended for scenery. Yes, the road winds around a bit because of the terrain, but you didn't ask for the most direct route, you asked for the most scenic route. Personally, while I love the Okanagan as a destination - its warm and sunny with the beautiful lakes and the wonderful wineries - I don't think its particularly scenic. Its nice enough, but if I was trying to choose for scenery, highway 1 wins hands down, particularly when I'm just driving through.

If you feel like the side route through Logan Lake is too much of a detour, then stick with highway 1 all the way to Cache Creek and just follow it to Salmon Arm.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,623 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vancouver to Salmon arm

The Port Mann Bridge toll leaving Vancouver to the east is something you should be aware of re: your rental car. Have a look at this article.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154943-c203297/Vanco…