We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to spend Labour Day

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Blenheim, New...
Level Contributor
857 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Where to spend Labour Day

Visiting Canada August/September... the first 10 or so days I plan to spend on Vancouver Island, before heading into BC/AB for most of September. .

I need to pick up my rental car for travelling inland in September (Its a lot cheaper), thinking the 1st or the 2nd,

The way I see things I have three options.

1) Spend Labour Day in Vancouver and collect hire car on the 2nd.

2) Spend Labour Day on Vancouver Island (around Nanaimo), and travel to Vancouver on the 2nd and collect car.

3) Collect hire car on Labour Day, and drive to Kelowna. I fear the roads could be quite busy heading inland. But I suppose most people would be returning to Vancouver rather then leaving it.

Which would be the more interesting / most pleasant location to spend it?

Do shops have big sales on Labour Day, if so it might be a good time to do shopping in Vancouver.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,211 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to spend Labour Day

Hi Thmswalsh ~

Not #3. Labour Day long weekend is one of our busiest weekends. School goes in the next day.

My vote would be to stay on the Island and travel on the Tuesday. Families will be tethered to their houses then.

Sales? For the whole of August the madding crowd will be shopping for back-to-school clothes and school supplies.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,486 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to spend Labour Day

hi

there is always going to be heavy traffic between Vancouver and Chilliwack and they all want to drive in the left lane (keep right accept to past is never followed);

after Hope depending on the route you take

#5 is 4 lane high speed highway with light traffic

#3 is mostly 2 lane and never really busy but you could get stuck behind large trucks with few passing lane just before Manning Park (about 20km) and near Princeton for about 30-40km.

So it really does not matter which day you travel. Getting to the Kelowna area early could be a good idea.

The campgrounds in Penticton are never full the long weekend in September. the locals never consider it as a busy weekend. The August long weekend is the one that is a Zoo.

Blenheim, New...
Level Contributor
857 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to spend Labour Day

Thanks for the advice.

Planning to take Highway 5 / 97C to Kelowna (Would take HW 3 on my return to Vancouver in late September)

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to spend Labour Day

Hi!

Laura from Tourism Kelowna.

Labour Day weekend in Kelowna generally isn't as busy as earlier in the summer. You won't have a problem finding accommodation. Some attractions will close after this weekend but many will still be open.

Depending on your interests, there are wineries to visit for tours and tastings, trails to hike, beaches to sun on. Several restaurants and coffee shops in the downtown area, and other areas, have sidewalk patios. If you golf, there are golf courses for any ability. September is a popular month for golfers so it is wise to book early.

Market gardens will be loaded with fresh vegetables and fruits in season. Yummy!

Safe travels and enjoy!

5. Re: Where to spend Labour Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2015, 05:17