We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible Itinerary - would love your thoughts

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Possible Itinerary - would love your thoughts

My husband and I have never been to Canada before and we have 10 nights in September in which to see just a few areas in BC. After what feels like an awful lot of research, we're thinking of the following itinerary and would love it anyone could let us know if we're missing anything:

- 3 nights in Vancouver (take in the city, whale watching excursion, Grouse Mountain, Capilano Suspension Bridge to name some of the things we'd like to do)

- 2 nights in Whistler (ziplining and gentle hikes)

- 3 nights somewhere on the Sunshine Coast, probably Sechelt or Gibson's (a little R&R away from the city)

- 2 nights back in Vancouver to cover anyother bits we've missed, maybe a day trip to Victoria time allowing.

We'd obviously love to see more of Vancouver Island but feel we should dedicate more time to VI on another trip.

Many thanks in advance! :)

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible Itinerary - would love your thoughts

I think you have the right idea Candice,your plan will give you a very good visit and some beautiful scenery.I am not so sure on the destination of Sechelt or Gibsons.Maybe something like Pender Harbour or seriously consider a trip to Van Isle you would not be disapointed

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,217 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible Itinerary - would love your thoughts

Looks good. I would also look at accommodations outside those towns. Have a look through the many options in the whole of the Sunshine Coast. Don't book through TA though, book directly with the property.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g1173269-Sunshine_Coa…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,050 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible Itinerary - would love your thoughts

Yup, +1 for that. Nice plan.

You need to be sure you know what you are getting with the Sunshine Coast. Sleepy, relaxing cottage country.

Hmmm, just thinking here, there is a nice alternative that puts you closer to Victoria and would allow you an easier trip to southern Vancouver Island as a day trip.

Why not look at one of the Southern Gulf Islands? They have direct and frequent ferries to Swartz Bay. You could easily spend most of your time on the small gulf island, but either do Victoria as a day trip from there (which is much more reasonable than trying to do it from Vancouver) or you could spend two nights on one of the islands (Saltspring, Galiano, Mayne, Pender) and then have a night in Victoria to finish.

See how that fits and go from there.

http://www.gulfislandsguide.com

hellobc.com/vancouver-island/popular-areas/g…

http://www.saltspringtourism.com

Edited: 24 June 2014, 19:04
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,050 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible Itinerary - would love your thoughts

However, you also say that you would dedicate more time to VI on another trip, which suggests you should just do that and not both with Victoria at all, in which case, just stick with your plan which is just fine as is.

A trip to Vancouver Island can easily take two weeks all on its own, but it also combines well with trips into Washington State or using the ferry system to get up to northern BC and even into Alaska, so there are some terrific options for a trip that focusses on just VI.

London, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible Itinerary - would love your thoughts

You've all been so helpful, thanks so much!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,012 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible Itinerary - would love your thoughts

I love the Sunshine Coast as a place to just relax and take things super slow. There's enough to keep you occupied if you're looking to sleep in, relax on the deck with a cup of coffee, enjoy a good book and unplug from the online world, go for walks through the rainforest, browse the little book shops and coffee shops in the villages, stroll along the waterfront, etc.

Shades of Jade B&B is somewhere I've stayed at twice for a weekend getaway. The B&B is run by an architect, and it's done up in a Japanese zen style... steam shower, outdoor hot tub, heated floors, fireplace, music piping into the walls.

West Coast Wilderness Lodge is another place I've stayed it. They're cozy and slightly west coast rustic cottages centred around a lodge with an outdoor hot tub, a massive deck overlooking Jervis Inlet (a stunning fjord), and a gourmet restaurant. It's located in Egmont, next to Skookumchuk Narrows - famous for its fast-moving tides.

You can also rent cabins all over the Sunshine Coast. Friends of mine own a little cabin in Tuwanek, which is a half hour drive north of Sechelt, overlooking Sechelt Inlet. My first ever weekend to the Sunshine Coast was there in their cabin - I went for an extended weekend in May 2009 and fell in love with the place. Again, it's super quiet - the place you go if you want to read a book on the deck, watch the hummingbirds and bumblebees in the garden, stroll down to the beach and go for a paddle in a canoe or kayak. They now rent their cabin out via AirBnB: https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/975964

This should give you a good starting point if you're still interested in the Sunshine Coast.

Edited: 24 June 2014, 21:34
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,012 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible Itinerary - would love your thoughts

Meant to say that Shades of Jade also has a spa. They're located in Roberts Creek, which is half way between Gibsons and Sechelt.

London, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Possible Itinerary - would love your thoughts

Thanks so much everyone, this information is invaluable! :)

9. Re: Possible Itinerary - would love your thoughts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 06:16