We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

courtenay, I grew up their

Temiscaming, Quebec
Level Contributor
870 posts
Save Topic
courtenay, I grew up their

Hi everybody

I grew up in Courtenay and its been a very long time since i've been back. I would like to bring my hubby and kids. Iam always talking how great my childhood was in courtenay and would love them to experience.

i am just wandering what are good hotels to stay at. and I know things have changed so what kind of things a to do now. besides skiing and golfing and fishing. lol

I use to live on kilpatrick and went to courtenay elementry. do these still exsist. do they still have the rodeo.

michelle

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,691 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: courtenay, I grew up their

I don't know the town well but Yes the Rodeo/Fall Fair is still going strong.

It's grown a lot but is still a beautiful place with some great restaurants.

Fishing though has been poor for years-if you want Salmon you'll have to go to the Outside of the Island..

Courtnay/Comox is very popular with Albertans who jam the direct flights from Calgary and own a lot of property in the area.

The town you now live in holds some fond memories for me as I grew up just over the border in N Ontario.

Temiscaming, Quebec
Level Contributor
870 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: courtenay, I grew up their

when you talk to people on here you really realize what a small world this is!!! i have only lived here for 5 years, but just wondering are your fond memories about drinking, lol. I've met alot of people on trip advisor that have been here and they have all the same stories, crossed the border for the under 19 drinking. lol

Courtenay are my fondest memories, I loved living there. The fishing is not as good as it used to be. I remember fishing with my parents and catching huge salmon. I remember the great restaurants, my favourite restaurnt at the wharf in comox appariently doesn;'t exsist anymore :(

michelle

Vancouver Island, BC
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: courtenay, I grew up their

Courtenay Elementary on McPhee still exists! Courtenay Junior is gone though.

If I were to stay here, I would probably look at Crown Isle, the Westerley, or the Kingfisher. There is also a brand new hotel where the Tomato Tomato restaurant (previously the Old House Restaurant) is located. I think they are called the Old House Village Suites. I saw a sign on the highway saying that they were now open. The mill across the river is now completely gone, so there are no noise issues.

Here are some websites, so you don't have to go looking for them...

www.crownisle.com

www.oldhousevillage.com

www.kingfisherspa.com

…bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do…

Here is a list of 101 Things to Do in the Comox Valley. Maybe that will help you out. :)

tourism-comox-valley.bc.ca/recreation_attrac…

Temiscaming, Quebec
Level Contributor
870 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: courtenay, I grew up their

thank you so much for help, now hopeful when we visit i convince mark to here!!!

michelle

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: courtenay, I grew up their

HI

Alot of changes to the Comox Valley,but still the same great place.Depends how long it has been since you were here.Besides the other suggested lodging ,you could stay up the Mt Washington,that is a place that has changed alot,also Comox has grown alot and the downtown and waterfront are becoming quite vibrant.With West Jet and Air Canada flying in from Calgary to our new airport it makes getting here alot easier.Hope you can come back and show your family

Temiscaming, Quebec
Level Contributor
870 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: courtenay, I grew up their

I have alot of fond memories of Mt. Washinton. i have hiked to the top of the mountian as a class trip for grade 5 & 6.

michelle

7. Re: courtenay, I grew up their

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 18:17