We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Harrison from White Rock

Which Harrison Hot Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
PA
Level Contributor
71 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip to Harrison from White Rock

Hoping you can help me out! I would like to take a day trip to Harrison the end of August, but not spend the entire day there - just a few hours taking in the scenery and browsing the shops. My memory is fuzzy from my last trip five years ago, as my driver friend whizzed past everything and didn't really want to stop. But, I seem to remember some folklore about BigFoot as well and some beautiful sand castles? Anyway... want to incorporate into one day driving to Capilano & Grouse, one day with Downtown sightseeing, and then into another day Alice Lake, and Squamish up through Whister. Just where can Harrison fit in - or can't it? Should it be a separate day? I have six days that I'm trying to fill as much as possible as a "highlight" trip for a couple of friends/family that were never to Vancouver before. Thanks for any input... Vakay

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,493 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip to Harrison from White Rock

In that many days, you could consider a circle route:

Vancouver (3 nights) - Harrison - Hope - Lytton (1 night) - Lillooet - Pemberton - Whistler (1 night) - Vancouver (1 night)

This website will help you research the places mentioned: hellobc.com

Just enter the towns in the search bar and find out about accommodations, attractions and things to do.

Harrison (www.harrisand.org) has sand castles after Labour Day

Hope - Hell's Gate aerial tram

Lytton - white water rafting

Whistler - zip trek and Peak2Peak gondola, plus all kinds of outdoor activities

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip to Harrison from White Rock

You could not combine Harrison Hot Springs on a day trip to any of the other sites you have mentioned, if that was your intention. They are all north of White Rock; Harrison is about 1 1/2 hours to the east.

If you are looking to put together a series of one-day trips for you and your friends, you might want to think about a "Fraser Valley" day that would include Harrison Hot Springs and Minter Gardens on the north side of the River and, depending on the time left, Fort Langley on the south side. Here are some websites to get you started -

http://www.tourismharrison.com/

http://www.mintergardens.com/

http://www.fortlangley.com/

If White Rock is where you are staying, a "down day" in White Rock somewhere in the middle of all your driving might also be nice. There is a lovely walk along the Promenade and out on the pier, and there are also a variety of restaurants and some shops to while away an afternoon.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,095 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip to Harrison from White Rock

I've often taken people from out of town on a Harrison/Hell's Gate trip...a full day but wonderful scenery. Start out by driving to Hell's Gate first.. do the tramway then come back along the north side of the river and go into Harrison. You can also combine this with one of the Farm Circle Tours ( google..it'll come up right away) another nice out of the way spot is Kilby Provincial park where they have an old time ( 30's style) tea room with great pie, tea, lunch. Kilby is not far from Harrison Hot Springs.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,585 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip to Harrison from White Rock

I completely agree that you need to make a Fraser Valley day to include Harrison Hot Springs as part of a bigger tour of the eastern end of the greater Vancouver region. It is no where near any of the other things you list, so you'll have to plan one day to do all the great sights you find in that area. Several are listed above, but I will add

-- Bridal Falls Provincial Park in Popkum

-- the Catholic Mission in Mission

-- the Othello tunnels near Hope

-- Fraser Valley wineries in Langley (a couple are located just east of Fort Langley)

The Kilby Store is cute and worth the side trip, I STILL haven't been to Minter Gardens, but it's on my list of things to see, Hells Gate is impressive if touristy. Note that the sandcastle competition at Harrison is only for a couple of weeks, so check their website (posted above) for information. They had canceled it because it was becoming a big public booze up, but they do run it again now I think.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,585 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip to Harrison from White Rock

Looking at your plans so far, I would also suggest a day in Steveston. It's fairly easy to get to from White Rock and very charming and full of character, with the National Historic Site as a major tourist attraction in the Village. There are boat trips from the docks in Steveston that go out to see the sea lions or killer whales, so that's something else to consider.

PA
Level Contributor
71 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip to Harrison from White Rock

I completely didn't even think about Steveston. I've been there many years ago, and it is a very quaint fishing village. That would be a great passage of a couple of hours.

My main concern with Harrison is that outside of walking around a little, there isn't too much to do directly there at the Hot Springs. So, I do like the suggestions about Langley and Hell's Gate and Minter Gardens. I am trying to avoid a day trip to Victoria, as I feel that until we tally up ferry costs, etc., basically to go see Buchart (sp?) Gardens, it would be a very long and a very expensive day. I've never been to Minter Gardens, and although probably not as large as Buchart, I'm sure it's lovely just the same. With going to Grouse, I don't know if Hell's Gate would be over-kill on the gondola rides?

I am central to White Rock, as although friends will be staying at a hotel, I will be staying with an Aunt. So, hotel-hopping is kind of out of the question for me (I'm cheap - staying with the relative, ha, ha, ha).

My main concern here is to "wow" my friends with the absolute beauty of Vancouver. It is absolutely breathtaking. They don't believe me that the mountains will be snow-capped in August... I want to be able to take in as much of the culture of the area as possible, even with the limited amount of time we have to do it....

Vakay

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip to Harrison from White Rock

Here are some ideas from my day trip lists. I need to update them, but it gives you some ideas. I'd include Bridal Falls and Othello Tunnels in a loop going up to Hell's Gate and then back down on Hwy 7. It's a loop I do all the time.

tripadvisor.ca/GoListDetail-i5841-Fraser_Val…

tripadvisor.ca/GoListDetail-i1136-B_C_not_ju…

Viv

Harrison Hot Springs
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip to Harrison from White Rock

You can easily spend a day in Harrison. Boat tours, rentals, shops, circle farm tour, some great restaurants and of course beach time. On Friday evenings in August there is free entertainment in Harrison Lake Plaza and on Saturday and Sunday afternoons from 4 - 8 pm free music on the beach. Check out www.tourismharrison.com for further info

Chilliwack, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip to Harrison from White Rock

Unfortunately the Sand Sculpture Competition is no longer held in Harrison Hot Springs. The non-profit organization that has been putting on this event for more than 20 years dissolved in 2009 due to lack of funding. But there is still the internationally acclaimed Harrison Festival of the Arts in July. For more than 30 years, artists and musicians from all over the world have been coming to this small resort village to take part in the 9 day celebration of the arts. If your interested in learning more about the Festival visit their website at www.harrisonfestival.com. They also present evening concerts through out the year in the historic Memorial Hall.

Edited: 18 July 2010, 21:57
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip to Harrison from White Rock

I agree with sassy225. There is plenty to do in Harrison for one day. Visit The Farm House for some fresh goat cheese or The Back Porch for hand roasted coffee. Drive up the East side of the lake to Green Point or go further to Hicks Lake and Deer Lake. If you're feeling really adventurous there are a couple of day hikes up the local mountains which will give you incredible views of the lake from above. Or rent some bicycles and just cruise around the town. Nearby you can also check out Agassiz, Minter Gardens or Bridal Falls.

Get answers to your questions about Harrison Hot Springs