We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendation

Which Harrison Hot Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
51 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant recommendation

Most dining outside the Harrison Hot Springs Resort hotel is mediocre at best. We discovered Kitami, a Japanese restaurant, on Hot Springs Road around the corner. It is authentic, really great food, and reasonable. Highly recommend it.

BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant recommendation

Good to know, thanks!

We cant all eat in the Copper Room.

Vancouver Island, BC
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant recommendation

Every summer I head over to Harrison Hot Springs for a long weekend and there are two restaurants I always hit up: Kitami and the Black Forest Steak & Schnitzel House. I agree that the food at Kitami is great. The Black Forest is lakefront (looks German) and has an outdoor patio. I highly recommend the chateau briand dinner for two - it is amazing. The Harrison Grill in the Executive Hotel has decent breakfasts and, for something simple, you can't really go wrong Harrison Pizza.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant recommendation

I see this as exactly the opposite. I find the hotel food to be mediocre. I have a summer home on the lake and eat out about 3 nights a week. Here's what I like:

-Kitami- great Japanese food. Their Golden Rolls are fantastic

-sushi bar on the main street- (sorry don't know its name)- great sushi, good teriyaki. Better for takeout, as it gets crowded

-Muddy Waters- good coffee and fantastic sandwiches- this is my favourite lunch spot and they don't mind if you sit there all afternoon watching the world go by

-Crazy Fish- this is across from The Old Settler Pub. They started out a big shaky, but the food and service are improving every time I go. (frequent visitors to the area might remember it as Cote DAzur or an Italian restaurant) tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1136-B_C_not_j…

-The Old Settler Pub (note that in BC, kids under 19 aren't allowed in pubs, even the eating area) Good pub food and the best hamburger I've had in my life.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,458 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant recommendation

We always stay at the Harrison Hot Springs Resort & Spa, and usually take a "room package" -- which includes room + daily breakfast in the Lakeside Cafe + one dinner in the Copper Room. Our usual stay is for six nights. So our "eating out" in the village is confined to a few lunches (we eat most lunches 'as snacks' in our rooom, or out on the balcony of our room), and most dinners. So it's the latter (dinners) that we're usually looking for when staying in Harrison.

We always use our 'Entertainment Book' coupon for 'Charlies on the Lake', and do enjoy the ribs there. And we really love the pizzas & salads at 'Harrison Pizza', along with the wonderful owners & staff there!! And the various burgers (buffalo burgers, yum!!) and other offerings at the 'Old Settler Pub'.

We have tried other restaurants, and have had mixed success with both food and service. And there are some (especially the newer, or more recent additions) that we have not tried, and may give a try our next trip. I've duly noted the previous posts -- and have received some good tips!!

Whatever, and wherever, we sure enjoy a visit to, and stay in Harrison!!

Vancouver
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant recommendation

Looking at the reviews for this restaurant, it's been a while since someone said something about Kitami. My boyfriend and I were in Harrison this past weekend and had a terrible experience at Kitami. Perhaps there has been a change in management? Apparently, we weren't the only ones having a bad time as not long after we arrived (having waited about five minutes to be seated - being ignored by the staff) a table of 15 people walked out. We soon found out why. After one hour of waiting with only two other tables of 3 in the restaurant, we too left, canceling our order. The wait staff were very rude, unresponsive, lackadaisical and slow. The one sushi chef was constantly working, but didn't seem to be producing any sushi. It was a strange experience. We NEVER walk out of a restaurant and this experience pushed us to a place we don't like to go to. I would recommend avoiding this place like the plague.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant recommendation

I used to love Kitami but agree with you about the service. I haven't been in a few months because I have been going to the little sushi spot down by the Lakeview Restaurant, but the last time I went to Kitami, the service was horribly slow. They can't seem to hold staff and so the owner ends up waiting on every table in the place. I think it's been at least two years since the private tables on the right hand side have been open. Too bad, because it was a good spot. Even the locals have stopped getting takeout because their phone ahead orders aren't ready. It's a shame.

As far as other changes in the local restaurant scene, the people behind Dakotas and Jacksons in Chilliwack have opened a restaurant in Agassiz (next to the tourist bureau) called Jack's. We went on their soft open night and were impressed.

Charlie's on the Lake has undergone another ownership change and it is awful. Basically reheated Sysco Systems entrees. Even the view can't make up for the food there.

However, Raven's Restaurent at the Beach hotel seems to have undergone a change of management and is really good now. They are making the food in-house and it is much more interesting.http://www.tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i14432-Vancouver_Day_Trips_for_Food_Lovers.html

We had lunch there the other day and the sandwiches and soup were great. Good view, too.

Another place to try if you are touring around is the little lunch bistro at Limbert Mountain Farms. The food is fantastic! They are on the Slow Food tour and have a commitment to quality and local produce. The bistro is tiny, though, and only open on weekends, so you might want to phone ahead.

7. Re: Restaurant recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 07:25
Get answers to your questions about Harrison Hot Springs