We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which roaad to take

Which Kamloops hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
which roaad to take

We are planning to drive from Banff to Jasper and then onto Kamloops in July. We would like advice on whether to drive from Jasper to Kamloops via the Yellowhead Hwy or to drive back to Lake Louise and across to Kamloops via Revelstoke. Please advise on the more scenic route rather than quickest which we realise would be down the Yellowhead Hwy. Many thanks

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,827 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which roaad to take

G'day kswitz, and welcome to the TA forums.

That question will probably only get you the same answer, drive the Icefields Parkway in the reverse direction via Revelstoke. I would most certainly recommend that.

Why do you want to stop in Kamloops? Convenience of half-way? There are better options and if you do decide on going via Revelstoke.

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which roaad to take

If your whole purpose of your trip is to see our Rocky Mountains then reverse back to Banff and travel Highway #1 through the Roger's Pass. You will not be disappointed.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,072 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which roaad to take

We did the loop a couple of years ago and, personally, while the drive up the Yellowhead is very night, and you must see Mt. Robson, even if its just as a day trip from Jasper, I think the views along Highway 1 as you travel through the Kicking Horse and Roger's Pass are stunning. I'd recommend either Revelstoke or Salmon Arm for your stopping point, depending on your preference for activities and scenery.

Prince George...
Level Contributor
66 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which roaad to take

Why not stop in Kamloops? Although the scenery in other towns is very nice, Kamloops does offer something completely different, like tree covered hill tops and near desert valley bottoms, as well as an attractive downtown setting. Obviously you have a reason for going there.

Revelstoke is small but nice.

Salmon Arm is okay, but surrounding scenery, other than the lake, is somewhat lacking.

As for which route to take, I too would do the Icefields Parkway in reverse, Jasper back to Lake Louise. But if the weather is not cooperating and the mountains heavily clouded in, then take the Yellowhead.

Both highways, # 1 and #16/5 are busy with #1 being the busiest.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,072 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which roaad to take

LOL - just read my typo. I'm sure you've figured it out, but I meant to say that the drive along the Yellowhead is very nice with some lovely mountain views and scenic, but the road through Golden and Revelstoke is still better.

Kamloops does get a bad rap on this forum. :> I've stayed there. Its Ok and will serve as an overnight stop where you need a couple of good meals and a bed.

I would also, from Kamloops, stay with Highway 1 and come down the Fraser Canyon, rather than taking the faster Highway 5 through Merritt. Much prettier and quite a contrast from the other scenery you will see on your trip.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which roaad to take

Wow! Thanks everyone for such good advice and such quick replies. Pity about 'road' typo in the main heading - this is my first question ever, must Preview next time, what a great site.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which roaad to take

100% I would suggest that you travel To Jasper however come back toward Lake Louise and then highway 1 thru the Rogers pass. and on to Kamloops thru Salmon Arm.

All along the way you will find beauty. Make sure you take the time to stop at Lake Louise as well as the Spiral Tunnel for trains at Field BC. Another favorite spot along the way are the resting stops before Revelstoke like Skunk cabbage park, Crazy Creek Hot Springs and falls.

Crazy Creek, It is a tad pricey however worth the break to view and take a dip. Be very careful in this area and if possible avoid this drive on a Friday or Long weekend as people are always excited to be thru mountains and close to the Okanagan where you can enjoy wine & golf to your hearts content as well as boat on the 90 mile Okanagan Lake. Safe travels

8. Re: which roaad to take

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2013, 10:34