We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kamloopa Pow Wow August 2014

Which Kamloops hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Horley, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Kamloopa Pow Wow August 2014

We (my fiancee, her daughter and myself) are travelling through the Rockies from Calgary to Vancouver in July / August 2014 (as well as getting married in Banff on 30 July!). We have worked out an itinery which includes an overnight stay in Kamloops on 1 August. I have seen online that the Kamloopa Pow Wow appears to be taking place 1-3 August.

We would be interested in attending but don't know what to expect. I would like to know if anyone has been and can tell me how it works and also the opening and closing times.

Thanks in advance!

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,645 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kamloopa Pow Wow August 2014

Opening & closing info here:

tourismkamloops.com/kamloopa-powwow-in-kamlo…

I have not attended this event, but have been to numerous Pow Wow's in the past - there will be plenty of dancing, great food and music... and marvelous traditional dress.... a good event for those who are unfamiliar with First Nation traditions and life.

Horley, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kamloopa Pow Wow August 2014

Thanks phpr for your help.

It sounds an interesting event. The website mentions Grand Entry on Friday 1 August being at 7pm so I am taking it that to be the start time.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,009 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kamloopa Pow Wow August 2014

Aug 4th is BC Day in BC and Heritage Day in Alberta. This makes for one of the busiest long weekends of the year. You really need to be booking accommodations now.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,495 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kamloopa Pow Wow August 2014

You definitely want to make the most of this opportunity. We chanced across some top First Nations dancers at Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump in Alberta who were there for a near by pow wow and I couldn't tear my kids away from it. They were utterly entranced by the dancing.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
551 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kamloopa Pow Wow August 2014

Have a look at Youtube for an idea.

Very interesting, we are ~1 mile away and can hear the drums and singing at night.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kamloopa+pow+wow+2013+

Well attended from all western provinces and quite a few western states for competitors and viewers.

http://www.riverlandinn.kamloops.com/

Easy walking distance to the competition grounds.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,396 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kamloopa Pow Wow August 2014

Whole lotta shakin' goin' on!

Some of those dancers really are impressive-Thanks for posting this.

Horley, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kamloopa Pow Wow August 2014

Thanks for all of your responses. It sounds an interesting event and I'm sure we will be attending.

Don't worry about it being a Public Holiday weekend, with a wedding to arrange as well as a three week road trip to organise, the accommodation was all booked last December!

My only problem is that we have way too many places to see and so little time!

8. Re: Kamloopa Pow Wow August 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2015, 12:15