We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants

Which Kelowna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada-Vancouver
1 post
Save Topic
Restaurants

Review on Bonfire Restaurant at Cove Resort

(Bonfire Restaurant & Bar, Westbank, KELOWNA)

The food was interesting and had a southwest accent.

We ordered the caesar salad, mixed greens, crab fondue and pan seared halibut.

First the food. The bread was cold and soft and a disappointment. My caesar salad was not very exciting, I could not tell if the dressing was made fresh or was squeezed out of a bottle. My partner was satisfied with his mixed greens salad, which had an interesting goat cheese filling puff and shrimps on the side.

Next was the crab fondue. Presentation -wise it was visually appealing, topped with some shredded crab meat at the top, pita and taco chips. My partner was excited to find big chunks of "crab meat" in the fondue. Soon, however, I took one of the chunks and bit into it....the texture and taste was clearly not crab meat. I put it on the plate and proceeded to dissect it...it turned out that it was a fake "crab" sticks you find at the supermarkets.

The pan seared halibut entree ( and its vegetables) were very flavorful, but I was not too impressed with the halibut, which was clearly frozen before and cooked.

However, the MOST irritating part of the whole dining experience was the bias of the server (a dirty blonde woman) towards my partner. I almost felt ignored by her. I'm not sure why servers/ waiting staff in West Canada do that - they will pay the most attention to those whom they think are paying the bill or making the most comments during the serving experience. Have you noticed that ? If you do, let your voice be known so that the owners of the restaurants will remember to train their staff properly to pay equal attention to all guests at the table. One thing I know for sure, I won't be visiting this restaurant again, nor recommending to others.

Kelowna BC
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants

Thanks for sharing your experience! :)

Vancouver, BC
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants

Thats unfortunate, we just had our anniversary dinner there and it was fantastic. The atmosphere, service, food was top notch. The other diners in the restaurant seemed to be enjoying themselves as much as we were.

I can't say that I can agree with you on your opinon on the service and generalizing it to Western Canada standards. Weird, just never heard or experienced that. For all others, give it a try - it was a great evening.

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,811 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants

It's weird, I keep noticing posts either very good or very bad about places from 1st time posters who are never heard from again, I know we were all 1st timers once, but this is strange, are they just people with an axe to grind and people who need to praise their own places? any ideas?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,050 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants

I want to know why a review is posted in the forums. Shouldn't it go in the reviews? I appreciate the trip reports in the forums, because they cover the entire experience, but it doesn't seem appropriate to comment on a single experience here.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants

Agree with Vancouverite. Use the reviews section for reviews.

Also, I've never noticed that servers/waiting staff (only in Western canada???)pay more attention to who they think is paying the bill - myabe they just pay more attention to those more open and friendly because that is human nature. My husband almost never pays, and in over 30 years I can't say either of us has ever felt more ignored/attended to than the other.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants

Josiem, yes, right on. I myself am deeply suspicious of first-time (and usually only-time) gush or rant posts.

7. Re: Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 06:24