We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Kelowna to Kimberley 2012

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Kelowna to Kimberley 2012

Hi. My family and I are travelling to SilverStar for a White Christmas this year. After New Year we are driving from Kelowna, where we will pick up a hire car, and drive around to Kimberley for a week of skiing. Is it a safe drive and should we hire an SUV or would a standard car with snow tires be sufficient? What route should we take there and back, as we are driving back from Kimberley to Kelowna. We wanted to stay at Revelstoke for a night or 2 to ski as well. Are there any must see's on the way. A friend told me to go via Nelson up to Revelstoke on the way back. Is this feasable, would anyone recommend doing this. Any help would be fantastic. Thanks. Copadaze

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Drive from Kelowna to Kimberley 2012

So, my wife and I have decided to fly across to Calgary and drive down to Kimberley now. We are looking at doing a few extra days at either fernie or kicking horse. Kicking horse is only an hour out of the way, as my wife wants to see banff, so we will be going that way. So which is best to do. Are there any good sites to see on the way as well. We do want to stop into Lake Louise. Any input would be great. Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Drive from Kelowna to Kimberley 2012

Thanks EastBC. Have you ever been to Panorama. What is it like and is it worth doing a few days there after Kimberley? Thanks alot.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,797 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Drive from Kelowna to Kimberley 2012

My heart beat has returned to normal now. :-) By heading out from Calgary you will reduce the chance of avalanche, avalanche control, snow fall, ice and black ice to just one or two highways. And Vermillion Pass which is near the boundary of Kootenay NP and Banff NP along Hwy 93 is about 1680 m. I notice the Blue Mountain ski resort is 452 m. Being prepared for weather is your best insurance. Like the old saying, if you carry an umbrella it won't rain. I hope that's how things turn out for you - clear skies, sunny days, good snow, for a wonderful ski holiday.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Drive from Kelowna to Kimberley 2012

Thanks for all your help. It has been great.

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
889 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Drive from Kelowna to Kimberley 2012

I actually haven't skiied Panorama, one thing I've heard is that as the runs face north & as they make a lot of the snow, the snow tends to be more "ice crystal-ly "than 'snowy". But it's so close to Kimberley, Golden & Fernie it would be fun to ski it too & compare them all! There's also a hill at Fairmont, also one I've not skiied but many of the locals say it's a nice little hill (and you can soak in the hot pools after!)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Drive from Kelowna to Kimberley 2012

Hi guys. Am skiing in BC Jan 2013. Which is a better resort to stay in, in regards to snow and skiing, ski-in and out, resort and town facilities, including apres drinks. We are looking at either Panorama or Fernie. We are a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 kids.

We also booked into Kimberley early Jan and are staying on the snow. What is Kimberley like.

Any help would be fantastic. Thanks.

17. Re: Drive from Kelowna to Kimberley 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 14:17