We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much does trip to kelowna cost? Food prices entertainmen

Which Kelowna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois City...
Level Contributor
260 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
How much does trip to kelowna cost? Food prices entertainmen

Would like to plan a trip to kelowna in October with the husband we would stay 9 days coming from Chicago

I was wondering how much the cost of food is and entertainment if we ate out a lot just trying to get an estimate for our budget curious to see what others spend when visiting kelowna

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,815 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much does trip to kelowna cost? Food prices entertainmen

Wouldn't be much difference from Chicago prices.

Edited: 26 July 2012, 16:41
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,349 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much does trip to kelowna cost? Food prices entertainmen

I will differ in opinion and say add about 25% to food prices compared to Chicago. Part of that is additional taxes, but by and large restaurant meals in Canada tend to be a bit higher than US.

Entertainment? What kind of?

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,154 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much does trip to kelowna cost? Food prices entertainmen

I'd have a look on Google and type in "Kelowna BC Restaurants" to have a gander at the restaurants and their menus to see the actual prices.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,126 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much does trip to kelowna cost? Food prices entertainmen

Are you going wine touring? That could push up cost considerably lol.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,552 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much does trip to kelowna cost? Food prices entertainmen

I would budget $150 - 200 for accommodation. $20 a plate for food, no alcohol at C+ restaurants + 15-20% tips. Plus rental car from Vancouver Airport and gas for it at $1.40-ish a liter (multiply by approx 4 to get cost per gallon.) Discretionary money for entertainment and gifts for kiddies, grans and aunts. For 9 days I might take $600-700 in cash and my credit card. 12% tax on almost everything. Any unused money would go right on the CC bill when we got home.

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Kelowna
Level Contributor
571 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much does trip to kelowna cost? Food prices entertainmen

Welcome and hope you enjoy your stay in Kelowna. If you have any specific questions about the city let me know. The reply's above will give you an idea of cost.

Kootenays, British...
Level Contributor
405 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much does trip to kelowna cost? Food prices entertainmen

Pretty subjective but in my experience Canadian travel expenses are moderately more expensive than equivalent US travel expenses. I can't compare to Chicago specifically as I've only ever just passed through there. Besides it is a huge city which isn't really comparable.

By 'moderately more expensive' I mean overall 20 - 30%. Some things are alot more expensive, like our gas costs costs about $5.25/gallon whereas in Washington it is about $3.50/gallon. Restaurant food I find similar prices on the menu but our is a bit higher when you add in the taxes and tips. Booze (especially wine) is out of this world! About double what you'd pay in the US.

But we're still cheaper than Europe or Japan!

8. Re: How much does trip to kelowna cost? Food prices entertainmen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2013, 10:16