We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cooper's Grocery or Marketplace IGA?

Robina, Australia
Level Contributor
437 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Cooper's Grocery or Marketplace IGA?

We are wanting to do a large grocery shop before heading up to Big White - I see that these 2 are close to each other on the way to BW from Kelowna - can anyone please recommend the bigger/better store? (Or another if it is better?)

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Big White
Big White
Okanagan Valley, Canada
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
16,925 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cooper's Grocery or Marketplace IGA?

hi

these are the medium size stores

large retailers are Real Canadian Superstore, Save-on-Foods; safeway and then there is Costco all with a few km apart along Highway 97 close to Highway 33 turn off to go to Big White.

Mentioned in this post
Big White
Big White
Okanagan Valley, Canada
Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Kelowna
Level Contributor
589 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cooper's Grocery or Marketplace IGA?

Both Costco and Walmart are only about a 5 minute drive from IGA. If you are driving north on Hwy97 then you will pass them both before you turn on Hwy33,

Otherwise, I prefer Coopers.

Robina, Australia
Level Contributor
437 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cooper's Grocery or Marketplace IGA?

Thankyou so much - it's great to hear from the locals. Much appreciated.

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Kelowna
Level Contributor
589 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cooper's Grocery or Marketplace IGA?

Your welcome. Anything else thet me know

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cooper's Grocery or Marketplace IGA?

Hi, I'm not disputing the very good information that you have been given here. But if you are driving from the airport to Big White and don't at all feel like diverting to any of the mentioned stores, then that Cooper's on Highway 33 will be very convenient for you to stop at and is certainly large enough that it will have all the staple foods you might want. The Marketplace IGA is a lot smaller. Enjoy your visit.

Mentioned in this post
Big White
Big White
Okanagan Valley, Canada
Robina, Australia
Level Contributor
437 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cooper's Grocery or Marketplace IGA?

Thanks again for your input. It's very helpful. I had been searching the forums for names of supermarkets and these 2 were all I could find - We went to Big White for the first time last year and our pre-arranged shuttle took us to the Marketplace IGA. I was a little disappointed with the size and range available there (although my husband was happy there was a liquor store next door!) - we were a family of 6 travelling with another large family and were hoping to stock up for the 10 days, but struggled to find enough nice steaks and other meat and fresh produce items especially. When we got to Big White other skiers told us there were better options in Kelowna but they didn't remember the names - so wanted to have more information this time before our next trip!

Mentioned in this post
Big White
Big White
Okanagan Valley, Canada
Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Kelowna
Level Contributor
589 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cooper's Grocery or Marketplace IGA?

There is a Safeway at Hwy 97 and Leckie Rd which is about a 10 minute drive from Coopers if you want something bigger. Hubby can still drop into the same liquor store on your way to Big White. If you want really large try Walmart.

One other suggestion is Johnny's Deli for great steaks and in the same mall is Old Town for fresh veggies. Both are located on Hollywood Rd and Hwy 33, which is basically across the street from Marketplace IGA. Anything else let us know.

Mentioned in this post
Big White
Big White
Okanagan Valley, Canada
Leduc, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cooper's Grocery or Marketplace IGA?

Hi, We are not technically locals but we now own a place at Big White so feel like we are getting to know it pretty well. The IGA will deliver your groceries to your door for $20 on all orders over $100 which is pretty nice. You do have to be at home for the delivery. I loved it because we didn't have to try and pack more stuff in the van along with all the kids, skis etc! As previous said they are medium sized but I love the delivery option.

Mentioned in this post
Big White
Big White
Okanagan Valley, Canada
Robina, Australia
Level Contributor
437 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cooper's Grocery or Marketplace IGA?

The home delivery service is great to know about - thanks! As we will be staying for a few weeks it would be great to get a delivery half way through our stay - thanks!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
176 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cooper's Grocery or Marketplace IGA?

I know this is an old topic, but I thought I'd add to it as I referred to it a few times in my own trip planning. We just got back from Big White, and had our shuttle driver stop at Cooper's for our groceries. I haven't shopped at any of the other options as this was my first visit to Kelowna/Big White, so this is just my impression of Cooper's. It is what I would call a small-to-medium sized grocery store (depends on where you are from I think). Most of the sale prices depend on you having a Cooper's membership card. Thankfully our driver gave us his, and this took ~$40 off of our $600 bill, so a significant savings. Without that card, I don't think that Cooper's would be the most cost-effective choice. The produce section was pretty good, but I was disappointed with the bakery as there wasn't as much selection as I was hoping for when it came to fresh breads, rolls, etc. Ditto the gourmet food section, or rather, the lack thereof. I was hoping to get some gourmet cheeses, olives, etc., (maybe even some local products) to use as pre-dinner snacks at our condo, but there wasn't anything along those lines, just run-of-the-mill type stuff. I was also hoping for some fresh soups, etc., to make our lunches a bit nicer, but there wasn't much selection there either. The staff were very friendly, and helpful in boxing up our two very full grocery carts. There is also a liquor/beer store across the street, so that saved us an extra stop. I think on my next trip, I would probably try one of the bigger stores in the area to see how they compare.

Mentioned in this post
Big White
Big White
Okanagan Valley, Canada