We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire confusion!

Which Nanaimo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Lincs
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire confusion!

Hi. We're spending 11 days on vancouver island in May and want to hire a car when we arrive in nanaimo on the ferry. We're from the uk. Really don't know what insurances we should purchase from the many that seem to be on offer! Any advice would be great. Many thanks. Diane

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire confusion!

Many credit cards offer car rental insurance so check with your credit card provider. Mine offers world wide coverage with some exceptions (e.g. Syria, Iran, etc).

My card will cover Loss Damage (LDW) but not third party.

Also check with your own insurance company. They may have policy that covers you in some way.

If your card or personal insurance has no coverage, I would get LDW plus third party. Decline all other offered.

Edited: 09 February 2014, 16:24
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire confusion!

Agree with puffpuffpassross. First look at the coverage offered by any of your credit cards. Usually gold cards and up will have car hire insurance.

If I remember correctly, in the UK, if you require documentation from your insurer this usually takes a while to sort out. I would get on that quickly if it will work for you.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,486 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire confusion!

Hi

if you look at http://www.canadianaffair.com/en/car-hire/ they will include all the insurance you need and there are no drop off fees between certain cities. i.e you could pick up in Vancouver and drop off in Victoria.

North Lincs
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire confusion!

Thank you so much for your advice-will get it sorted. Can't wait for our holiday now!

5. Re: Car hire confusion!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2015, 05:20