We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What it really like

warrington,uk
1 post
Save Topic
What it really like

Hi there,

I have just been offered a job in prince george and am looking to move from the uk to canada.

I have herd a lot of bad reviews about prince george about it being a run down industrial town. That has fell upon hard times, Yet it look's really nice on the websites.

And that it cold wet and isolated.

Realistically speaking what should i expect, and would we be easily execpted into the community, Does prince george actually have much of a community spirit with it being so cold and wet????

If my comments seam a bit negative please excuse me and correct me where possible.

You information would be welcomed as it help me decide if spending $2000CAD to visit and recee the town is actually a worth while investment????

Cheers

Rob.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,778 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What it really like

Everything you've heard is true and more-it also smells terrible.

It's funny that from time to time on the net people will jump to PG's defence by saying "well it's only a few hours to such and such" or "the drive to the coast is lovely"-and it is.

As to being cold and wet I only noticed the cold the times I was there in winter-that and the high crime rate.

There are many many better places to live in Canada-if you do move there you'll have to take into account that within a few years you'll be moving on-most do.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What it really like

Rob:

PG is the biggest town in the North. It is indeed a town dependant on natural resources, so yes, it has some rough spots. The downtown is really hurting as many businesses have relocated to the sub-burbs and the University was built out there too. All in all, you really need to be an outdoors person (e.g. hunting, fishing, camping, wildlife viewing) to live in PG. It does not have the flash of a big city, because the people there are not into flash. One thing is certain, there are some of the most friendliest people in BC living in there. It has some great restaurants, pubs and all the big box stores (e.g. Costco, Home Depot, Furture Shop)so you can get all the house all sorted out. In the winter, yeah it is cold and dry as it is in the middle of BC. It is not as rainy as Prince Rupert, which can be overcast for weeks. The great thing is that the cost of living is still cheap in PG, so if you do want to hit the town, you can always fly down to Vancouver for a weekend of fun.

If I were you I would invest in the flight and do some recce....cheers

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
566 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What it really like

I too would want to actually see the place that my career is taking me to.

Here is a web link that has some more info about the city and area.

bcadventure.com/adventure/…I

I usually drive through the city at least once a year. It is the hub of the northern part of BC. People do actually go here to spend time. Yes it is an industrial town as are all other northern BC towns. The way of life is the key. The outdoors are fantastic with lots to do. If you are a city slicker you may be lacking some of the finer events. I would not say that it is wet; it can be cold at times but it is central BC; it is not major highway routes northeast, northwest, east and south.

The city is starting to grow, the university has started bringing in people to learn and to teach. In my opinion the people are quite friendly. Community spirit > it has two junior ice hockey teams that provide more that enough excitement during the winter months. Most cities would only have one team.

Would I live here ??? Probably yes given the right job for me.

Hope that helps.

Prince George
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: What it really like

Hello Rob

One of the greastest assets of Prince George is it's rich Community Spirit.

Housing cost are still relatively low when compared to Vancouver or Toronto.

90% of the people dress rather casual, at one church service I attended no more than 10 of the 250-300 congregation wore a suit.

I find people friendly and helpful. In 3 months I have yet to come a sulkie face in any type of service transaction.

If you enjoy rlaxed country life and community life, PG is a great place to bring up a family.

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
359 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What it really like

Hi Rob

PG is on the rebound.It is a Northern BC town and you have a different climate than the coast,I would not say wet,but some cold snaps in the winter,beautifull fall,spring can be cold,and summers short.

The isolation maybe difficult if you are used to a big city life,I moved there for 2 years from Vancouver and it was an adjustment,but alot of people move there from the city and love it and dont leave.I really enjoyed my time there,but moved to Vancouver Island for a new job.

I found the people the best,very friendly and helpful.

It is very busy now (comparatively speaking)lots of logging trucks on the road as they harvest trees like crazy due to pine beetle infestation.

Very affordable to live.I have friends that just moved there and they are happy there.

Good hunting,fishing if you like that stuff,and lots of sports enthusiasm,for kids family,yourself etc.

It can have a bad odour especially in the summer due to the pulp mills.

You can allways fly to Vancouver(about an hour) or to Calgary when you want a city fix.

And besides you wil be in Canada and who knows, the possibilities are endless.

I hope this is helpful

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What it really like

I'd been told that the isolated feeling was due to the cost of travelling to other major centers. So I looked into it. Westjet has a sale on right now that allows you to fly from PG to Vancouver and back for $250/person, taxes included. After the sale, it's about $340.

Even at the sale rate, I can't imagine a family of 4 doing this every month.

So when people tell you you can fly out for the weekend, I think that depends on how many people there are in your family, and how much disposible income you have.

Prince George
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: What it really like

Rob,

Prince George used to be a grubby industrial town, but it's changed a lot, for the better. It's not a huge city, so sometimes it seems like there isn't much to do, at least not without some creativity. Actually the best things PG has to offer are the outdoors. If you like to hike/camp/canoe/bike/ski/etc, you won't run out of exciting things to do.

It's not really that cold, (maybe I'm just used to it) and I wouldn't consider it wet.

You'll find community spirit if you get involved, or join the fans at a Cougars hockey game, for example. There are lots of clubs, and sports teams too.

PG is also big enough to have everything you need, and some good entertainment like the PG Playhouse, Symphony Orchestra, PGARA Speedway, Movie Theaters, and lots of convenient shopping.

If you have any questions about Prince George, email me at Glenwarkentin@gmail.com

I've lived here for 20 years.

-Glen

England, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What it really like

In a three week visit to Alberta and BC last summer, Prince George was by far the WORST place we stayed in. We couldn't find anything open in the main part of town, and in order to find an evening meal ended up at a burger bar, not what we wanted after a long drive. The centre of town is thrift shops, dollar shops, Pawn shops, and lots of bars for the many male workers from the three pulp mills. There was no way that I would let our teenage daughter out of sight. The feeling is that it was once a very busy town but that it is now in rapid decline. The University of Northern BC has been built there and that is in a nice location out on the edge of town. Despite this the B&B we stayed in was one of the nicest on the trip, but it also was out of town. It is a long way from anywhere with any sort of life, and unless you are going to spend your free time going out of town I really wouldn't recommend it. I dread to think what it is like in the winter.

You MUST spend the money and recce it, this is a major decision, if you have transferable skills there are so many other nicer places that you could go to.

quesnel, b.c.
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: What it really like

Dear Rob,

In reply to your request for information about Prince George, B.C. I don't actually live there, i live in Quesnel about 120 km south.

I go to PG 3 or 4 times a year for shopping Doctors appointments.

As for it being cold and wet. We do get some pretty cold winters, lots of snow, excellent skiing, skating. This winter it has been above 0c most of the season. The average temperature in the summer is 20-25 degreeze celcius.

PG is about 900 kilometers north of Vancouver, (a 9 hour drive) and about 700 kilometers from Edmonton, Alberta. I wouldn't call it isolated, it is a city afterall.

PG is a multicultural community, i don't think you would have any trouble fitting in.

PG is a forrest town, it has mills and pulp mills and a railway. And logging industry.

I hope I have been of some assistance, Quesnelite

Prince George...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What it really like

Hello Rob.

I don't know where you heard that about Prince George, I have lived here in Prince George since 1970 and kind of grew up with it. To answer some of your questions. Prince George has to be one of the most community minded cities in BC, as far as the weather, it can be very warm in the summer +20 to 30C is normal, it is not like Vancouver where there is lots of rain, the winters have been getting milder and shorter for the past years. If you like the outdoor sports like fishing, gofing, winter sports, skiing, etc.

We also have the University of Northern British Columbia.

I am retired here in Prince George and would not live any where else.

If you like more information please check our Web site @ http://www.elmarbourbnb.com

and brows through it.

Dirk Blokland