We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train stop-over Prince George

Australia
Level Contributor
178 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Train stop-over Prince George

Hi could I please have an update for a hotel for an overnight stopover from the train to Prince Rupert which arrives after dark. I must say I am feeling a bit nervous after reading a number of posts on TA. Doesn't have to be 5 star just clean,safe area preferably walking distance at least in the morning happy to taxi at night. What about the travellodge they have breakfast included ?.

Regards Mary

9 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,172 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train stop-over Prince George

Prince George has an unfortunate reputation as a drab industrial city with a downtown that has a few rough looking characters, but I've spent time there for work, and honestly, there's nothing to worry about. I was last there in 2010 and stayed at the Ramada, which was good. I see there's a Sandman Signature Suites there, which are always really nice. That's another option.

P.S. If you get a chance, head up to the top of Connaught Hill Park for a beautiful view!

Edited: 30 March 2014, 05:42
Australia
Level Contributor
178 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train stop-over Prince George

Thanks for your reply unfortunately this is only a stopover, train gets in about 7.30pm and leaves at 8am.

It's a shame, you shouldn't judge a place without spending any time there.

Thanks again for your input.

Regards Mary

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Train stop-over Prince George

I've spent altogether too much time there and it deserves it's awful reputation-locals don't call it The Pig for nothing.

Take a taxi to/from your accommodation and keep your doors & windows locked.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Train stop-over Prince George

If you need something to eat order a pizza to be delivered.

Australia
Level Contributor
178 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train stop-over Prince George

Thanks Sam I will take your advise on both posts.

Regards Mary

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,667 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train stop-over Prince George

Some of the railroaders I know here in Jasper work into Prince George from here; they are laid over at one of the downtown hotels in PG, and don't like to leave the hotel after dark.

P.G. may have been unfairly rated as the most dangerous city in Canada (three years in a row) by a major Canadian current affairs magazine, but by any measure, it does have a crime problem. A lot of it is apparently gang and drug related, so not necessarily something that stop-over visitors would encounter ... but it's still a rough place. huffingtonpost.ca/2012/12/07/prince-george-m…

Kamloops, British...
Level Contributor
95 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train stop-over Prince George

I think the "rough characters" comment is closest to portraying the truth about Prince George and the fact that it has three pulp and paper mills. It does have a recently completed university, UNBC and the citizens are proud of their city and "the North". The frontier atmosphere of P.G. is more than made up for by friendliness.

Prince George...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Train stop-over Prince George

SamSalmon,

Perhaps it is your attitude that determines your experience in Prince George. What you say about the city in your various posts simply isn't accurate. I have lived here for nearly 20 years now and have experienced the city from every angle, having worked in the social services sector. Despite the reports to the contrary, if you are an average person who does not live a high risk lifestyle, this is an extremely safe and welcoming city. There are many ameneties, great local shops and restaurants, awesome cultural events, high calibre sports events to satisfy the tastes of a variety of enthusiasts, beautiful parks and walkways and access to a wide variety of outdoor activities.

If all you do is fly in, catch a cab and then lock yourself in your room then I have no doubt that your experience will be limited to 5-10 year old news reports that no longer accurately represent the reality of this welcoming and open place to be.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,797 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train stop-over Prince George

Old post. OP came and went last year, looking for a hotel recommendation.

The guidelines for posting in the forums are here:

https:/…200613647-Forum-Guidelines

Edited: 20 February 2015, 16:48
Reply to: Train stop-over Prince George
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted