We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest way to Prince George from Manitoba

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
152 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest way to Prince George from Manitoba

I need to be in Prince George in the end of May and need to go as cheap as possible. I am not even aware of which trains /buses/planes serve PG. I am even able to hitch a portion like from Jasper if there are usually lots of rides. I am coming from Manitoba. Is it better to get there via Vancouver? Thanks for ideas.

Mentioned in this post
Prince George
Prince George
British Columbia, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,228 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest way to Prince George from Manitoba

I've hitched much of that route in the past it's fairly easy.

Google maps is your friend.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,184 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest way to Prince George from Manitoba

Greyhound will get you there from Winnipeg via Calgary and Edmonton to PG in 1d 11h 10 min for a price range of $134-238.

Airfare for a 4 or 5 hr flight from Winnipeg with a stop in either Vancouver or Calgary is $322.

www.viarail.ca is the website where yiu can check the train fare.

Mentioned in this post
Winnipeg
Winnipeg
Manitoba, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,679 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest way to Prince George from Manitoba

Getting there on VIA is not as straightfoward as you would think. You will need to take the Canadian to Jasper, and then stay over until the Skeena departs. They are not set up for a connection.

From Manitoba, the shortest route is to follow Yellowhead highway #16, from just west of Portage la Prairie all the way to PG. If you are driving or hitching, you might consider taking #1 to Regina, and then up to Saskatoon to get on the Yellowhead. That keeps you on divided four-lane highway all the way to just before the east gate of Jasper National Park. From there to PG, it's an undivided two-lane highway.

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Regina
Regina
Saskatchewan, Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan, Canada
Jasper National Park
Jasper National Park
Canadian Rockies, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29,718 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest way to Prince George from Manitoba

When considering costs, remember that the longer it takes you, the more it will cost in incidentals along the way. If you are looking at taking Greyhound, remember to factor in all the meal costs along the way, and whether or not you are going to take a night in a bed there somewhere.

While flying looks more expensive on the surface, when you factor in those additional costs, it starts to look a lot more reasonable.

5. Re: Cheapest way to Prince George from Manitoba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2018, 05:16