We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from prince rupert to vancouver

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Topic
from prince rupert to vancouver

i'm looking to rent/hire a car (4x4) from Port Rupert to Watson Lake (Yukon border) and back through the Yellowhead (16) to Vancouver. Seems to be a challenge ! thanks for the lift

Museum of Northern British Columbia
History Museums, Natural History Museums
Butze Rapids Park and Trail
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Parks, Hiking Trails, Bodies of Water
Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: from prince rupert to vancouver

well thank you, i got the solution ....Enterprise rental cars do it, but you have to leave your car at Prince George or Kamloops ...then take the train or a flight to Vancouver ....

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: from prince rupert to vancouver

Glad you found a company that will work for you. Enterprise is really good to deal with. If you are flying from either Prince George or Kamloops, be sure to check out fares from Central Mountain Air (flycma.com) and Westjet (westjet.com) as well as Air Canada.

It's a beautiful drive up to the Yukon from Prince Rupert - if you need about where to stay or what to do, be sure to post again.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: from prince rupert to vancouver

thanks Robin

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: from prince rupert to vancouver

i was definitely wrong, it is not possible to hire a car from Prince Rupert and leave it elswhere in BC ! And if you rent a car at Prince Rupert, Smither or Terrace, no possibility for an unlimited kilometers deal, just 700 km per week + 0,35 cts per add km ...Very strange because you can rent a car at Vancouver with unlimited km and drive to Alaska and back ...

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
748 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: from prince rupert to vancouver

How are you getting to Prince Rupert? I'm thinking you might be taking the ferry from Port Hardy as a walk on. If this is the case you could consider renting from Vancouver - it might be a cheaper option

If flying is an option you could rent from Prince Rupert and circle right back to Prince Rupert and then fly PR to Vancouver.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,853 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: from prince rupert to vancouver

Last year when I phoned one of the PR rental companies they told me one way rentals were no problem but the dropoff for Prince George was $500.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: from prince rupert to vancouver

effectively, my idea is to go from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert with the ferry. (inland passage) but they charge 410 $ for the car + 360 for 2 adults, total 770 $ !! but it seems that we have not a lot of choice. Thank you anyway

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
748 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: from prince rupert to vancouver

Yes, the $410 fro vehicle on the ferry is likely the same cost you are going to pay for one-way drop fee for a rental car. In addition, if you rent from Vancouver you can rent a car with unlimited miles. So overall it might be a cost savings.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: from prince rupert to vancouver

yes you are definitively right ....and now i've got more info from Budget, they do not allow you to visit the Alaska territory (f.i. Haines or the Stewart area) with their cars. It becomes more and more difficult to organize my trip ....but i like difficulties ....

10. Re: from prince rupert to vancouver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 07:16