We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prince Rupert to Port Hardy in January 2013??

Which Prince Rupert hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Prince Rupert to Port Hardy in January 2013??

We are wanting to take BC Ferries from Prince Rupert to Port Hardy in mid-January. Has anyone made this trip during the Canadian winter? We are travelling from Australia to mainly ski, but would like to make this trip if possible. Is it still worthwhile at that time of year?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,148 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prince Rupert to Port Hardy in January 2013??

Welcome to the forums, BF2 ::

The schedule for the overnight sailings can be seen in the following link. In winter, the service is limited, overnight, subject to high winter seas. Sunrise and sunset in January here will be close to 8 am and 4:40 pm.

I would not consider this trip in winter a sightseeing trip.

www.bcferries.com/schedules/inside/prph.php

Edited: 04 September 2012, 15:00
Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prince Rupert to Port Hardy in January 2013??

I'd say it would be a lot of money spent to sleep. The overnight is just that - there isn't musch of the run during the day and the days are pretty short then as it is. You are better to spend your money at a couple of different ski resorts instead.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,570 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prince Rupert to Port Hardy in January 2013??

Agree. I'm trying to figure out how you are going to get to Prince Rupert in the first place. That is not a drive I would take on in January.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,148 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prince Rupert to Port Hardy in January 2013??

Maybe the Skeena from Jasper. But it might be worth posting the overall plan because Aussies and driving in a Canadian winter are often incompatible. Just saying.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prince Rupert to Port Hardy in January 2013??

Thank you for your reply. It is very useful and we are re-thinking our plans!

Catherine

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prince Rupert to Port Hardy in January 2013??

Yes agree, we definately don't want to be driving in the Canadian winter. There is a train that travels from Jasper to Prince Rupert on a limited timetable. But overall based on feedback, we are going to re-plan!

Thank you

Catherine

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,148 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prince Rupert to Port Hardy in January 2013??

That train is VIA Rail's "The Skeena." haha In January, they'll just put a snow plow in front of the train like this one, and you'll get through "alright."

http://members.kos.net/sdgagnon/nfe04.jpg

Here is a website for Big White, Silver Star and Sun Peaks that might interest you:

http://www.bcskicountry.com/

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,434 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prince Rupert to Port Hardy in January 2013??

We did the Inside Passage ferry trip as part of a winter trip from Jasper, in late February/early March 2007. We travelled from Jasper to Prince Rupert on the Skeena train, stopping off in Smithers for a few days (to visit friends), and then on to P.R. The ferry was delayed by 14 hours due to winter storms so we wound up leaving P.R. in the middle of the night. Although the scenery was grey and drizzly, with a lot of low cloud, we really enjoyed it anyway. From Port Hardy, we rented a car and spent a few days driving on Vancouver Island and visiting a friend in the Comox area, and then flew from Comox to Vancouver to catch VIA's "Canadian" train back to Jasper.

Regarding the ferry part of the trip - although the scenery may not have been optimal (as I said, a lot of low cloud), we still really liked it. We live here in the Rockies and are accustomed to stunning scenery; the change to coastal scenery, even if it was mostly grey water, grey mountainsides and grey clouds was enjoyable for us :) ... it also helped, perhaps, that our vacation had periods of little activity and lots of relaxation (train & ferry), interspersed with more active periods (snowshoeing in Smithers, walking in the Comox area).

I wouldn't rule out the ferry based on the time of year, just have realistic expectations. Among the attractions for us was that it's cheaper to do in the off-season, and that we couldn't get time away in the summer to do it. Working in tourism, I have heard about the ferry trip from visitors from all over the world, and seeing as how it's almost "in our back yard", it seemed a shame not to do it, even if it was off-season.

Edited: 05 September 2012, 05:07
Calgary, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Prince Rupert to Port Hardy in January 2013??

I am planning to go to Prince Rupert from Port Hardy in December. I do appreciate your feedback here. I am wondering if whales and dolphins are common sights along Inside Passage during winter?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,434 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prince Rupert to Port Hardy in January 2013??

We did not see any wildlife at all when we did our trip in March, other than seagulls.