We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Via Rail train from Jasper to PR..

Canada
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Via Rail train from Jasper to PR..

Has anyone travelled this route lately, and can tell me what its like?

I know you have to spend the night in Prince George, and that it travels through spectacular scenery but how is the actual train itself? Is is comfortable and clean? What food and drink service is available.. things like that.

Many thanks.

23 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,656 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Via Rail train from Jasper to PR..

ATSF asked me to link his Trip Wow Trip Report for you.

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-0350-187a-deef

Canada
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Via Rail train from Jasper to PR..

Love it....thank you both. I think I'm going to book this, this weekend. Don't want to wait until Spring:)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,887 posts
1,992 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Via Rail train from Jasper to PR..

Which motels do travellers recommend and how far is each from the railway station at Prince Rupert? I may walk at night.

Edited: 22 May 2016, 03:49
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,656 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Via Rail train from Jasper to PR..

Victorianlad ~

Mate, long time no see, you really need to post a new hotel/motel question using the Ask a Question button. This is a VIA Rail thread and it's 3 years old.

Murrells Inlet...
Level Contributor
11 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Via Rail train from Jasper to PR..

Don't recommend walking from the ferry station to hotels. The nearest is about a mile and it's the busy Yellowknife Highway with few sidewalks until you get to town. May not be safe at night; very dark and if you have luggage, this doubles the problem. Plenty of taxi's in PR and it's about $5 to the nearest hotel and $9 to the far side of the downtown

Sylva, North...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Via Rail train from Jasper to PR..

Are you still interested in this trip? We just finished it and could make some comments. Train is a VIA train now called the Rupert Rocket.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Via Rail train from Jasper to PR..

I am. My family who live in Terrace, are planning to relocate soon - so it will be my last chance for a while.

Sylva, North...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Via Rail train from Jasper to PR..

The most important consideration is that you travel only during the day. If you are coming from Jasper, you will stay over in Prince George. The other people on the train stayed at a variety of places. Ramada Inn seemed to be popular. Several folks walked the 15 minutes to lodging like Riviera City Center and Travel Iodge.

I'd advise you to pack a small bag for overnight. It is cumbersome to check bags to Prince George and then to check them again to Prince Rupert.

There are two classes of travel: touring and economy. Touring has good views, 5 meals, and cleaner washrooms.

I was disappointed with the food and the food service. No elegant white table cloths and menus. Essentially you are in an airplane on wheels with airplane seats and airplane food served at your sea

ON THE OTHER HAND, this is truly spectacular scenery, not to be missed if you have an opportunity to see it. The best part is Terrance to Prince Rupert.

Check your schedules carefully. Train don't run every day. And have a great time.

Sylva, North...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Via Rail train from Jasper to PR..

I don't think there are hotels within walking distance in PR. We stayed at the Crest Hotel. Fare was $11.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Via Rail train from Jasper to PR..

Thank you :)

Reply to: Via Rail train from Jasper to PR..
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted