We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seating on the Port Hardy to Prince Rupert Ferry

Seattle
3 posts
Save Topic
Seating on the Port Hardy to Prince Rupert Ferry

Traveling in August on the ferry and I'm currently waitlisted for a cabin. Would like to learn what are the seating arrangements on the ferry.

1) Are they first come first serve?

2) Do people hold that seat for the entire 17 hour voyage?

3) Can you sleep or rest - are they comfortable?

4) If questions 1 & 2 are answered in the affirmative should I get to the ferry early and in que so as to dash in for a chair?

5) Are there lockers to store luggage?

I'm driving up from Seattle to Port Hardy. It's all new to me (which makes it all the more fun!) so any information someone can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Port Hardy
Port Hardy
Vancouver Island, Canada
Butze Rapids Park and Trail
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Parks, Hiking Trails, Bodies of Water
Museum of Northern British Columbia
History Museums, Natural History Museums
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seating on the Port Hardy to Prince Rupert Ferry

I have no clue. I am doing this trip next year. Maybe you should contact BC Ferries directly and ask them or go to their web site www.bcferries.com.

I would expect seating to be first come-first served. You could also sleep in your car if push came to shove, but who knows. Canadians are generally a good lot, so if you get up to go to the washroom or such, I wouldn't expect someone to steal your seat.

Again email or call BC Ferries. Have fun, I was just in PR. Treat yourself to some time at the Crest Hotel, having a beer on the deck and watching the eagels and ships go by in the harbour.

Mentioned in this post
Crest Hotel
Crest Hotel
482 Reviews
Prince Rupert, Canada
BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seating on the Port Hardy to Prince Rupert Ferry

I cant say what its like on this ferry, but have travelled the other bc ferries.

1. Seating is first come first serve.

2. People will generally set up camp at the seat they start with.

but there are always ramblers that will take your seat if you leave it empty. We usually leave a sweater and book on the seat, and they are always left alone. That way you can take a walk about and have your seat when you get back.

3. there are some ferries with very comfortable seats, good for naping in, so I would imagine this ferry would be set up with that in mind.

4. Dashing is good. Also makes it more fun if you get a good window seat as a result!!

5. Just leave your luggage in the car, it will be fine there.

Be sure to post your experience here when you get back. Have fun.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seating on the Port Hardy to Prince Rupert Ferry

I'm also planning to do this trip next May. However since most of our travel is by train (and bus when train is not available), we don't have a vehicle to lock the luggage in. It would be a nuisance if we have to watch over our luggage the entire voyage....though we do plan to travel light. So , again I pose the question to those who might have recently taken this ferry....are there any lockers available?

Ireland
Level Contributor
193 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seating on the Port Hardy to Prince Rupert Ferry

Hi there

Did this Ferry trip last month. We had a car with us so we left our luggage in it, not too sure about lockers. The seating arrangement is first come first served and it seemed like everything was gone by the time we got up on deck. As for sleeping people just threw themselves whereever they found a space, I nearly walked on people on many occasions as they were in between seats and everywhere.

Most of the people lay out on the floor and downstairs near where the movie screen is seemed to be quite popular. BC Ferries give out free blankets if you go to the desk and ask, but it was announced.

We found people to be quite rude when it came to holding seats and sleeping, like why sleep on the floor and stop people using the four or so seats up above you, I just don't think its fair. A seat is a seat, if you want to sleep go somewhere there are a lot of free seats, as opposed to where people want to look at the view.

Only my opinion of course!!!!

BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seating on the Port Hardy to Prince Rupert Ferry

Found this on the website:

Q: Is hand luggage service available?

A: Hand luggage service is available for walk-on passengers on all major routes between the Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island. The service is also available on our Tsawwassen-Gulf Islands and Horseshoe Bay-Langdale sailings.

In order to assist our baggage handlers, we ask that you weigh and tag each piece of checked baggage according to the colour indicated on our weigh scales. Customers may be required to self-load any baggage over 45 kg/87 lbs. (Note that there is no access to checked baggage onboard ship.)

If you intend to board a coach on the ferry, please ensure that any baggage you check at the terminal has a bus tag on it.

Irish, I hate people that take up an entire prime seating area and dont use it for its intended purpose too!!

Note: I always take a pair of binoculars with me onboard.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver Island
Vancouver Island
British Columbia, Canada
Victoria BC
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seating on the Port Hardy to Prince Rupert Ferry

This message is probably a bit outdated now seeing this thread was from last year but I'll go on anywas. The Queen of Prince Rupert is the smaller of the two ships. She has a forward passenger lounge which on overnight sailings people can stake out a seat for the night as cabins are limited now only to about 16 or so ever since the crew quaters were move above the water line. The mid ship lounge with the TV in a more quiet darker place to sleep as there are no windows in that lounge and your not allowed to set up camp in that lounge or the rear upper lounge. But you could probably sleep there anyways.

The new ship on the routes the MV Northern Adventure has more cabins about 70 or so which are really nice as I took the tour of the ship before she went into service. No other places to sleep except in the only lounge the Sea Raven Lounge which is quite comfortable. If you want to spend $200 you can get a luxury cabin right at the bow. Nice rooms but rediculas price. I wouldent sit inside the whole time as the only view is out the side as the bow is just a few porthole and a kids play area. Better views outside. Seating is first come first serve. No assigned seating or anything like that.

Dont sit inside the whole trip. I took the trip from Port Hardy to Bella Coola and some people stake out seats and just sit there the whole trip. A waste of time and missing all the great scenery.

Mentioned in this post
Port Hardy
Port Hardy
Vancouver Island, Canada
7. Re: Seating on the Port Hardy to Prince Rupert Ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 19:17