We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing Intermediate Red Mt.

Which Rossland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oak Park, Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
Skiing Intermediate Red Mt.

My husband and I are intermediate skiiers. We loved Sun Peaks which we combined with a trip to Whistler. How are the intermediate runs and are there enough to have fun without doing the harder runs at Red Mt.? Do they groom? If we flew into Spokane, would combining Sun Peaks with Red Mt. be reasonable to do? I was hoping we could fly and then take a train around but it doesn't look like that's a good possibility.

5 replies to this topic
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,483 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing Intermediate Red Mt.

HI getting from Sun Peaks to Red Mountain is a car ride through winter mountain driving with at least 3 passes with lots of snow.

closer to Sun Peaks would be to look at the Okanagan 4 mountains and fly to Kelowna. and drive to Sun Peaks

Canmore, AB
Level Contributor
77 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing Intermediate Red Mt.

If you're intermediate skiers, you'll find limited terrain offerings. There are some beautiful cruisers off the Paradise lift, but the lower mtn blue's off the Silverlode chair are ho-hum and pretty much the rest of the mountain is steep, treed and not groomed.

As mentioned, SUn Peaks and the Okanagan resorts of Big White, Silver Star and Apex might be more up your alley for ski terrain.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing Intermediate Red Mt.

On the other hand, Rossland and Red Mtn have been featured several times lateley as one of the top mountains in North American and #4 in the world as a desirable place to live. As a snowboarder, our son loves Red.

Toronto
Level Contributor
63 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiing Intermediate Red Mt.

It's definitely more of a mountain for really strong intermediate skiers and up. The new Grey mountain expansion has some additional intermediate runs and they do groom a couple of them. But it's also loaded with double diamond chutes.

The blue square runs at Red are definitely more difficult and challenging than the blues at Whistler and Sun Peaks. Sally's Alley on Red Mountain is probably the steepest blue square rated run I've ever skied.

Castlegar, Canada
Level Contributor
642 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skiing Intermediate Red Mt.

Red Mountain is really three mountains Red and Granite and Grey mountain, red is the original ski hill and the smallest. There are easy runs on both hill as well there are harder runs on both. Granite, and grey have really been expanded in the last 20 years. There is also Whitewater ski hill just outside of Nelson which is about an hour drive from Rossland.

Oh and it is ️snowing here as I type this.

Soup.

Reply to: Skiing Intermediate Red Mt.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rossland
More Rossland Topics