We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the end of April too Cold for Saltspring Island

Which Salt Spring Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
897 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
Is the end of April too Cold for Saltspring Island

Hi, i have the opportunity to visit SS Island about April 26th or so..My husband has a meeting in Vancouver..and then we have a week after to tour around...

Is is possible to also visit Pender Island??

Would we rent a car in Vancouver or are they available on Saltspring island??

Any advise is appreciated!!

Thanks.

Tracy

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,345 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the end of April too Cold for Saltspring Island

Don't think there are any car rentals on Salt Spring..you have a couple of options..

rent in Vancouver take ferry to Pender stay a few days.. take ferry from Pender to Swartz Bay (Vancouver Island) then ferry to Salt Spring..stay a few days.. then ferry from Salt Spring back to Vancouver.

Fly Vancouver to Vicotira.. harbor to harbor with Harbor Air.. do a day in Victoria..rent car visit Pender, then Salt Spring then back Victoria drop car fly back to vancouver.. you can fly harbor to Vancouver airport coming back and leave directly.

AS to warmth.. hard to say how warm you want it! it will be warmer than vancouver.. not swimming weather but could be nice.. the Gulf Islands get less rain so usually drier..or it could be rain.. no way to know. Go to www.wunderground.com click on trip planner and then put in your dats for historical temps, weather info.

You might want to reserve pender ferry as it can get booked up.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,248 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the end of April too Cold for Saltspring Island

Yes you can easily rent a car on Saltspring-or a motor scooter if that appeals/the weather is good.

Salt Spring Marine Rentals 250-537-5464

You can easily take transit from downtown Vancouver to Tssawassen http://www.translink.bc.ca then catch a ferry to Long Harbour on Saltspring http://www.bcferries.com, then take the bus into Ganges town to pick up a rental.

Or fly with Harbour Air which lands in Ganges

http://www.harbour-air.com/

Late April should be ideal I often go in May-generally cool but lots of flowers and uncrowded maybe the Saturday Market will have started as well.

Think about a day kayak trip if the weather cooperates.

Pender is even smaller surprisingly easy to access by both water taxi and ferry.

http://www.saltspring.com/watertaxi/

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
897 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the end of April too Cold for Saltspring Island

Oh ok thanks..Doesn't the ferry go direct from Vancouver to Saltspring Island?? I thought i read that somewhere?? Maybe i misunderstood..

Either way it sounds like a good plan...We always travel overseas and would like to see more of our own country!!

How bout accomodations for Pender and Salt Spring Island?? Cottages are a preference for us, any suggestions....or something with a great ocean view!!

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
897 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the end of April too Cold for Saltspring Island

Oh SamSalmon, i responded at the same time as u, so did n't see your post!!

Thanks for the info...i think it'll be fantastic to do this, even if it will be a little chilly, it'll probably be warmer than Edmonton!!

Thanks again...any ideas for accomodation...and not anything toooo expensive...

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,248 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the end of April too Cold for Saltspring Island

Ocean view would be very expe3nsive I usually stay here http://saltspring.com/lakesidegardens/

There's an occsional ferry that's direct but the 'donkey express' can be fun.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
897 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the end of April too Cold for Saltspring Island

Okay Sam!! So..if we take the ferry from Vancouver and stay at Salt Spring Island for 4 nights (rent a car when we get there)...then take the island hopper to Pender Island for 2 nights....would we have to go back to SS island to take the ferry back to Vancouver, or what route would u suggest?

What about a car on Pender island??...hmmm..Help!!

Or would it be better to rent a car in Vancouver and then take it on the ferry the whole way....i dunno..please recommend!!

Also, have u heard or seen these cabins

http://www.oceansidecottages.com/

The ones u recommend look fine too...i will look into them both as soon as i figure out the schedule.

Thanks for ur help!!

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,248 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the end of April too Cold for Saltspring Island

Oceanside really is a cool looking place haven't viewed the rooms but have driven by many times.

Fulford is the last bastion of the hippie on SSI-well actually it *looks* like the last bastion but the truth is that hippies were priced off SSI years ago.

No matter it's a lovely location adjacent to the ferry to Schwarz Bay and there are a couple intriguing looking shops to check out and a great coffee place as well.

If you do take a car over investigate the 'throughfare' option with BC Ferries it gives you a greatly reduced price for going direct Tsawwassen-Schwarz then to Fulford.

Staying in Fulford puts you close to the Bread Lady

http://www.heatkit.com/html/bakeov12.htm

www.phillipvanhorndesign.com/bakery/map.html

and not far from the Vineyards

http://mapofsaltspring.com/

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
897 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the end of April too Cold for Saltspring Island

Well pardon my ignorance, but i have not taken the BC ferries for years. lol...

But according to what i read...we can take the ferry from Tsawwassen to Salt Spring Island (Long Harbour)..

And the ferry also stops at Pender Island, depending what days..I hadn't planned on going to Victoria this time as our flight will be Edmonton Vancouver return.

But i see there is another ferry terminal the south of SSI..anyways, it might work out better not going on that route..

So....if we go Tswaassen to SSI for 3 or 4 nights...then on the way back stop at Pender Island for 2 nights...then take the ferry back to Tswwassen...would that work??

The major issue i have is transportation..cause a car is nice to have..so where to rent the car...in Vancouver or on SSI and Pender Island...

So based on this updated info, what do u suggest??

Geeze it's harder to plan this than a trip to India!!

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,248 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the end of April too Cold for Saltspring Island

<<So....if we go Tswaassen to SSI for 3 or 4 nights...then on the way back stop at Pender Island for 2 nights...then take the ferry back to Tswwassen...would that work??>>

Rent a car in Vancouver and you'll be right no need for reservations this early in the season.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
897 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the end of April too Cold for Saltspring Island

Hello Sam Salmon...Well i have made a few decision..We are gonna rent a car, take the ferry from Tswassen to SSI...stay 5 nights at either The Love Shack at Oceanside or Spindrift, i can't decide..are u familiar with Spindrift, it looks beautiful.

We then take the ferry to Pender Island and stay 3 nights at the Shangri la B & B and take the ferry back to Vancouver to connect to our flight home.

I will book the ferry & car shortly...

If u have any info on Spindrift could u let me know as i just can't decide which place i wanna stay at...We really like rustic and original places with great views..

Get answers to your questions about Salt Spring Island