We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beaches and drving times

Which Salt Spring Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
beaches and drving times

we are staying at harbour house hotel, just wondering what are the best beaches nearby (heard versuvius is really good) and how long it takes to get there by car. we are just staying over night and have never been to salt spring before...open to suggestions.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beaches and drving times

We were on Saltspring in March - a lovely island with lots of crafts people and studios. However, if you are looking for sandy beaches, I think you may be disappointed. As far as I know, what beaches there are on Saltspring are rather pebbly. When we asked at the B&B where we were staying, they advised that Saltspring is not really known for its beaches. However, the walking trails and views from Ruckle Park at the southern end of the island are quite lovely. (We did go for a walk there and enjoyed it very much.)

As for driving times, I would allow about 15 - 20 minutes from Ganges (where your hotel is located) to Vesuvius. Nothing is very far from anywhere else on Saltspring. However, the roads rarely go in a straight line.

Kootenays, British...
Level Contributor
405 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beaches and drving times

I agree with the first poster - SS does not have excellent sandy beaches. Probably up by Walker Hook is the closest thing to a stretch of sandy beach on the ocean. However, if you're a westcoaster you will know that the majority of 'beaches' here are often rocky, at best pebbly or shelly - with the occasional mudflat.

I'd suggest a kayak daytrip in Ganges harbour. Some of the small islands out in the harbour have oystershell beaches that are very nice.

Most islanders do not swim in the ocean as the beaches are limited and the water is cold. Instead most go to one of the lakes. Still very limited in terms of sandy beaches but the water is usually warm enough for a long swim. Ganges is close to St. Mary's Lake.

Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: beaches and drving times

Thank you for the info! Very helpful!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,932 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beaches and drving times

Agreed with others than Salt Spring is a lousy beach destination, although I did find a beach when I was there at the end of Beddis Road. I forget what it's called, but it's a white shell midden beach, so it looks quite pretty, despite being small in size.

Vesuvius is... well, it wouldn't be my ideal. I remember it being a nice place to watch the sunset (from the dock or pub), but the beach itself was full of sharp rocks, and you overlook a distant smoke stack.

If you get a chance to explore other Gulf Islands down the road, Galiano Island's Montague Harbour has a beautiful beach.

Edited: 12 June 2012, 00:48
5. Re: beaches and drving times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2014, 08:18
Get answers to your questions about Salt Spring Island