We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Watching - East or West?

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
193 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Whale Watching - East or West?

Hi

Ive just booked whale watching with Jamies Whale Watching Tours as I have read good reviews about this guide, out of Tofino.

However, Ive just read it is better to go watching on the east side of the island. Do you think we have agood chance of seeing them on the Tofino side of the island? We're coming a long way and Ive waited a long time to do this so want to get it right!

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Theresa

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Watching - East or West?

It depends on what time of year and what type of whales you want to see.

You're more likely to see orcas on the east side of the island, gray whales on the west.

When are you coming? That makes a difference as well.

Alberta
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Watching - East or West?

We are planning to go with JWWatching as well March 24th week in the 65' boat or should a person take the 26' zodiac? They told me that we will see grey Whales and lots this time of year. Am I getting the right information? thanks

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,688 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Watching - East or West?

Bigger boat or smaller-depends how rough it is and how adventurous you are.

Of course if it's too rough no one will go out.

Alberta
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Watching - East or West?

SamSalmon...I think I want to take the 65' as it has a bathroom where my husband thinks oh yeah the 26' will be so exciting. The girl did mention that if it is too rough we don't go that is why we will book for our 2nd day there so if we can't go we have 2 more days to try and get out on the water.

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
193 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale Watching - East or West?

We've booked to go out in the 'big' boat on the 30 May?

What do you think we will see? I must admit I do fancy seeing the orcas, but dont mind too much. Our 10 year old son will be just blown away to see any.

Many thanks

Theresa

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale Watching - East or West?

Theresa, will you be staying in Victoria at any time during your trip? Late May is generally a good time to see the southern resident orca pods on whale watching trips out of Victoria.

There may still be grays migrating up the coast in late May out in Tofino (the slower mothers and calves, most likely) and usually a few gray whales stick around that area all summer.

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
193 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale Watching - East or West?

Our plan is to travel down from Banff to Vancouver Island, spendin a cople of days in the mountain, and spend five nights on the island.

We had planned to stay in Tofino as everything says it is a wonderful area. I am actually having trouble finding accommodation though. Im going to post on TA for some help.

Re whales, will be happy to see even one, ecstatic to see more!

Any advice re accommodation would be welcome.

regards

Theresa

Denver
Level Contributor
16 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale Watching - East or West?

Hi, I'm considering a trip to the island in late May or early June and am fascinated by whales as well. Can you recommend a good tour out of Victoria or somewhere else on the east side of the island? And I'm wondering whether there'll be much difference in whether between, say, the last week in May and the week of the 15th of June. I gather we're likely to encounter rain in either case?

Thanks for your help! Any other advice welcomed.

Michelle

Calgary
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Whale Watching - East or West?

Hi, this is a question I am wondering about too!

We will also be on the island over the May long weekend. I've heard that Victoria is quite crowded and maybe Sidney might be a better place (on the East)...but do they generally go where the Victoria boats go too?

I've also been looking into Tofino/Ucluelet whale watching tours too.

They seem quite different, but I think we'd rather go where there are less tourists, but still be able to (hopefully!) see whales!

Can anyone out there shed some ensight?

Thanks so much!

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Whale Watching - East or West?

It depends on the kind of whales you want to see. If you want to see orcas, go out of Victoria or Sidney.

For gray whales, Tofino would be better.

As far as weather--it'll most likely be a mix of rain, clouds and sun either time.