We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a ferry reservation necessary for HorshoeBay to Nanaimo

Which Tofino hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
199 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Is a ferry reservation necessary for HorshoeBay to Nanaimo

We want to take the 10:30am Thuam ferry there and on Sunday the 5:45pm ferry back for our visit to Tofino. We prefer not to pay the $15 to reserve (we'll have our car). If we get there early enough (45 minutes before) do we have a good chance of getting on those ferries or should we pay to reserve...

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a ferry reservation necessary for HorshoeBay to Nanaimo

When are your travel dates? That is often the biggest factor.

Going over on a Thursday morning shouldn't be a problem but the Sunday evening ferry could be busy. Again it is helpful to know exactly when you are travelling?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,108 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a ferry reservation necessary for HorshoeBay to Nanaimo

Travel is slowing down a little now but it is still busy enough. I was at HB terminal on Mon Sept 14th at 9:30 for the 10:30 ferry and I was the last of 20-ish cars on. I was at the Departure Bay terminal on Wed. 16th at 4:40 for the 5 sailing and got on with the last of 4 cars. Just made it.

You are correct to consider getting to the terminals early. I would encourage 1 hour in advance of your Thursday sailing and 1.25 hr in advance of the much more busy Sunday evening. There food/coffee outlets at the terminals, some shops/kiosks to have a look at. Some reading materials might be wise or just sit in the sun (I'm sure it will be sunny!!) and people watch.

You need to keep in mind the semi trucks and commercial/tour busses, as well as Rec Vehicles - they take up a lot of space on the car decks.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is a ferry reservation necessary for HorshoeBay to Nanaimo

Pretty much any time of the year now, a Sunday leaving the Island is busy. I'd make a reservation for the Sunday Departure Bay to Horseshoe Bay just to be safe. I think you'd be OK with no reservation on the Thursday as MuftiMixandmatch says, by getting there early enough.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
199 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is a ferry reservation necessary for HorshoeBay to Nanaimo

We are going to Tofino this Thursday October 1st on the 10:30am ferry and would like to return on the Sunday 5:45 pm ferry on Sunday the 4th. From the replies it looks like I definitely should reserve the Sunday departure ferry... is the reservation $15 for each way or both ways?

vancouver, b.c.
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is a ferry reservation necessary for HorshoeBay to Nanaimo

The reservation fee is for each one-way reservation. The fee also goes up to $17.50 if made less than 7 days in advance of travel. So you would need to make the reservation today (Sunday) for next Sunday to avoid the extra $2.50. www.bcferries.com

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,108 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is a ferry reservation necessary for HorshoeBay to Nanaimo

The deal with a reservation is that you must arrive no earlier than 1 hour before sailing and no later than 30 minutes. If you arrive 29 minutes to sailing, your reservation will be cancelled.

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is a ferry reservation necessary for HorshoeBay to Nanaimo

The ferry leaves Departure Bay at 5:00 (not 5:45). The one afterwards is at 7:00. A long wait if you miss the ferry. $15 is a small price to pay instead of waiting. This will be a very busy ferry - so I would strongly suggest making a reservation. Reservations are still available.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is a ferry reservation necessary for HorshoeBay to Nanaimo

RutiV - is the 5:45 sailing from the Island leaving from Duke Point to Tsawwassen? THis ferry is less likely to require a reservation, but on a Sunday I would anyway. thecoastcouple is right - the Departure Bay ferry doesn't leave at 5:45, that one leaves at 5:00.

Regardless - the rest of the info is the same.

9. Re: Is a ferry reservation necessary for HorshoeBay to Nanaimo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2010, 05:20