We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tofino or Ucluelet in early August

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Tofino or Ucluelet in early August

I’m planning a 4 day trips to the Pacific Rim National Park in early August 2010. For now, I’m looking at staying in Tofino or Ucluelet. Where should I stay assuming my priorities are:

1-Walk on a nice long desert beach. Look at big waves breaking on rocks.

2-Try kayaking or try surf.

3-See some wildlife (bears, whales).

4-Avoid driving as much as possible. I will have a car.

Because of priority #4, I think Ucluelet may be a better option because it is closer to Nanaimo. Are best beaches closer to Tofino or Ucluelet? There is already a post with a similar question but my needs and priorities are different. I already have two different cottages (one in each place) in minds and both are within budget and available for the dates that I need. You do not need to recommend hotels or cottages.

Your comments or suggestions please. Thank you for all your help

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,202 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tofino or Ucluelet in early August

IMO they both fit your criteria. Tofino is a more interesting town at night and has a better selection of restaurants so if you have a cabin available in your price range then I would stay there.

The beaches are located half way, in my mind, between the two. I think you'll end up going to both towns. Tofino for whale/bear watching and surfing, Ucluelet for the Wild Pacific Trail.

Ucluelet
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tofino or Ucluelet in early August

Hi there

both towns are nice, Tofino being a bit more touristy with more gift shops and restaurants. Ucluelet also has some nice restaurants and gift shops. If looking for deserted beach areas in August - that's going to be hard - unless you consider a Float Plane adventure out of Ucluelet. Kayaking trips into the Broken Group Island also offer a more out of the way experience. See Majestic Ocean Kayaking for these trips and West Coast Wild Advenures for a float plane trip. Beaches in the National Park closest to Ucluelet are less busy than Tofino. Ucluelet also is home to the Wild Pacific Trail which is a gorgeous trail along Ucluelet's coastline (12 km worth) with dramatic black volcanic rock jutting out of the wild sea. Buccaneer Dave is right - nightlife in Tofino is probably more exciting, however the Wild Pacific Trail, the less busy beaches, and the Broken Group Islands may make Ucluelet more attractive to you...

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tofino or Ucluelet in early August

Thank you for all those advices. I just booked a cottage in Tofino after the 1st reply (cottage near the Botanical Garden). It seems Ucluelet is more appropriate but I guess we will enjoy our stay.

the Hat
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tofino or Ucluelet in early August

Kill two birds with one stone...rent a kayak from Majestic and kayak out to a secluded beach in the Broken Group for the day...there are lots! If you are an experienced ocean kayaker Tracy can give you great tips on where to find that private beach.

5. Re: Tofino or Ucluelet in early August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2010, 05:15