We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tofino or Uclulet for hiking

santa barbara, ca
Level Contributor
324 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tofino or Uclulet for hiking

My husband and I are planning a trip to British Columbia in mid-August (we're early 60's, from California, first time there for me - husband was briefly on Vancouver Island many years ago).

We are thinking 4 nights in Vancouver and then we have 4-5 days to spend elsewhere. I booked us into Middle Beach Lodge in Tofino. I am wondering, however, if we would be better off staying in Uclulet. We love to hike and want to do some kayaking - but we want to do day trips rather than full-out hiking/kayaking overnights. We like some challenge in our hikes -and from what I can tell, the Wild Pacific Trail might suit us better than the Pacific Rim Trail - although both look spectacular. Which section of the trails has more big trees and forest, or are they both forested? We are less into the beach walks, as we get a lot of that here (albeit a very different kind of atmosphere...). But we are esp. drawn to the big, ancient, old growth forests.

Also, is Uclulet or Tofino a better base for day-kayak trips?

Will we be doing a lot of driving to get to our setting off points - or are there plenty of trailheads for day hikes near Tofino?

Our other possibility is to do go to one of the Gulf Islands instead - Galiano or Pender. But I don't get the feeling that we'll have that sense of WILD that we would have on the West Coast, and as many on this forum have said, it's clearly apples and oranges.

Any input is welcome! Thank you all in advance.

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Vancouver Island
Vancouver Island
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Middle Beach Lodge
Middle Beach Lodge
1,107 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Tofino
Tofino
Vancouver Island, Canada
Wild Pacific Trail
Wild Pacific Trail
2,189 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tofino or Uclulet for hiking

Tofino and Ucluelet are 30 minutes drive apart. If you already have booked at Middle Beach Lodge (an excellent property!) then I would retain your booking and stay there. No matter which town you stay in you will be doing some driving.

I can wholeheartedly recommend a day trip to Flores Island. Depart by water taxi from the Government dock in Tofino to Ahousaht. Spend the day on Flores walking the 'Walk on the Wild Side' trail to several different bays. Great day out!

Galiano and Pender are both beautiful islands and excellent destinations but you are right, there is not a sense of Wild there. Pacific Rim National Park is a better choice for you.

Mentioned in this post
Tofino
Tofino
Vancouver Island, Canada
Ucluelet
Ucluelet
Vancouver Island, Canada
Middle Beach Lodge
Middle Beach Lodge
1,107 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Pacific Rim National Park
1,118 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
santa barbara, ca
Level Contributor
324 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tofino or Uclulet for hiking

Thank you so much for your input! That makes me feel good about our choice and I will definitely check out Flores. Any other good day hike recommendations?Are there any do-able day hikes on the West Coast Trail?

Thanks again!

Boston...
Level Contributor
319 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tofino or Uclulet for hiking

On Flores Island is the Cone hike that is very challenging. You can check that out

santa barbara, ca
Level Contributor
324 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tofino or Uclulet for hiking

Sounds great - thank you!

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,286 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tofino or Uclulet for hiking

Not the WCT -it's ends on the south shore of Barclay Sound @ Bamfield.

This might appeal http://www.wildpacifictrail.com/

santa barbara, ca
Level Contributor
324 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tofino or Uclulet for hiking

Yes, looks like a good option. Thank you Sam!

Ucluelet
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tofino or Uclulet for hiking

Besides the Wild Pacific Trail, you could kayak the Broken Group Islands (part of Pacific Rim National Park). Check for Ucluelet kayak operators.

Mentioned in this post
Wild Pacific Trail
Wild Pacific Trail
2,189 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
1,118 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Ucluelet
Ucluelet
Vancouver Island, Canada
8. Re: Tofino or Uclulet for hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 May 2012, 23:22
Edited: 23 May 2012, 23:22
9. Re: Tofino or Uclulet for hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 16:16