We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching tour from Tofino or Victoria?

UK
Level Contributor
62 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Whale watching tour from Tofino or Victoria?

Hi, could anyone advise on whether to do a whale watching tour fromTofino or Victoria? We are visiting both places but will have a little more time in Victoria, many thanks.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,035 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watching tour from Tofino or Victoria?

There have been several postings about this question. You will not see the same type of whales in both places. Victoria is great for orcas and I can recommend Eagle Wing out of Fisherman's Wharf. Tofino is best for grey whales and bear watching out of Clayoquot Sound - have a look at Remote Passages on www.remotepassages.com who provide separate trips to see both the whales and the bears. We went on two separate trips with them when we were in Tofino in 2010 and found them to be a very caring and sensitive company.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,554 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watching tour from Tofino or Victoria?

That's the key - what types of whales would you like to see? Orca are everywhere, but the populations off the outer coast are less predictable and you just can't count on them. The inland waters are home to resident pods which provide more reliable viewing opportunities all up Georgia Straight.

As grey whales are migratory, you can count on their presence in certain seasons as they move between their breeding waters in the Baja and their feeding waters in Alaska.

Both species are magnificent, so it just depends on your preferences.

FWIW - we went out of Telegraph Cove last summer and it was magnificent, but if you can't get up there, then you have to work with what you've got.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,747 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale watching tour from Tofino or Victoria?

Spring Tide is the company we used for whale watching off Victoria. We chose an afternoon tour which allowed the whales to be "discovered" by the morning tours. They went out of their way to give us a good experience.

I would suggest, if you have more time in Victoria, you get out to see Orcas from there.

UK
Level Contributor
62 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale watching tour from Tofino or Victoria?

Many thanks for your help. We will be visiting in mid August and so are thinking that Victoria may be better as we may not have any luck in seeing whlaes from Tofino due to migration seasons - am in right in thinking that these are late spring and early fall?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,747 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale watching tour from Tofino or Victoria?

I've posted some info and my suggestion on your other Victoria Forum thread.

Ucluelet
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale watching tour from Tofino or Victoria?

Grey Whales are here all year round (permanent residents) along with Humpback Whales. There is a migratory population of Greys that migrate Spring and Fall between Alaska and Baja. They have started arriving the last couple of days. Orcas are not permanently resident, but tend to show up every 2-3 weeks to hunt. Can also visit Broken Group Islands, Cougar Annie's Garden, and the hot springs.... check out Tofino or Ucluelet Whale watching companies for more information. Cannot help you with opinions on Victoria whale watching, but hope this helps.

UK
Level Contributor
62 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale watching tour from Tofino or Victoria?

Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,554 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale watching tour from Tofino or Victoria?

I love how TA is so educational! I did not know we had resident grey whales off the west coast. All you hear about are the migrations, so one assumes that applies to all of them. That's good to know!

9. Re: Whale watching tour from Tofino or Victoria?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 20:01
Get answers to your questions about Tofino
Recent Conversations