We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me decide - Wick vs Pacific Sands

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Help me decide - Wick vs Pacific Sands

We going for a special romantic anniversary get away, and I've been left in charge of making the final decisions - I have poured over the website and called both hotels, but I just keep waffling back and forth between the two!

What we want - quiet, relaxing, amazing views from the bed and tub, upper level. We plan to do some beach walking and hiking, maybe have a spa treatment. We will likely eat out. We are not high maintenance people - in fact - just the opposite - this is a splurge for us!

Trying to decide between the beach houses at Pacific Sands and the Pointe west at the Wick. Pacific Sands seems to have a larger space, larger windows, and possibly better room set up....but is the location less desirable? The Wick probably wins for location and service...??

Any thoughts? Has anybody stayed at both and can compare? Please help me make this choice!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me decide - Wick vs Pacific Sands

This is a fabulous area and you won't regret either one...

Having said that, the Wickaninnish is pretty much THE gold standard when it comes to luxury romantic getaways. Their list of awards speaks for itself. For many of us west coasters a night at the Wick is a staple "bucket list" choice.

I haven't stayed overnight at the Wick but we stopped in for a meal last year and checked it out. It's an amazing place with an ambiance that is unmatched - you literally breathe easier just walking in. Picture cedar and rainforest, soft glowing light and crackling fireplace.

I've stayed at Pacific Sands - just a basic room, not the fancy suites. It's a great place to stay but....its no Wick. Its a huge, sprawling complex that sits - quite tastefully, given the size of it - right on Cox Beach. You can walk out the door and be on the beach in seconds. There is definitely not the same level of intimacy in this location; resorts here take up pretty much every available piece of beachfront.

Not to get off track, but have you looked at Black Rock Resort in Ucluelet? Completely different "feel" than the Wick, but no less luxurious....and probably the best views in the area. A walk along the Wild Pacific Trail is a must-do, and if nothing else, visit Black Rock for drinks or a meal - the view from the lounge and restaurant is stunning.

One tip: only a small percentage of rooms provide a great ocean view. Many rooms on the non-ocean side of resorts are described as "rainforest view". If a view of the ocean is important, be absolutely specific about it when you book (and remember, "ocean view" can be a very subjective term!).

Good luck!

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,253 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me decide - Wick vs Pacific Sands

I think post one sums up things as well a can be done.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,137 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me decide - Wick vs Pacific Sands

Anton C, funny you would mention the Black Rock, as that is the place I was thinking of when I was reading the post. We have not stayed there...yet! But we did get a look at the place in August. Our son and his fiance are staying there this weekend, checking it out for their wedding.

No beach here, but it fits the "quiet, relaxing and amazing views" category.

Ucluelet is 40 km south of Tofino, so bear that in mind when choosing.

Sidney, Canada
Level Contributor
366 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me decide - Wick vs Pacific Sands

Definitely the Black Rock! - we have stayed there and absolutely loved it!

It has everything that you are looking for and WAY less than the Wick.

The lounge is very romantic and interesting too.

You can not beat the views - from every direction set out on a point.

The restaurant is reasonable priced with good food.

The rooms are very comfortable with gas fireplaces and extremely comfy beds and spa like bathroom with a window that has blinds that can be left open so you can see out to the water if you like.

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
852 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me decide - Wick vs Pacific Sands

We stayed in the least expensive room in the main building over the spa--- couldn't have been better anywhere on the island. Best windows for storm watching and hospitality couldn't have been better.

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
852 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me decide - Wick vs Pacific Sands

I forgot to say--- at the Wickinisha. Don't think twice about it. Book your room and have a great time.

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
852 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me decide - Wick vs Pacific Sands

Ucluelet is a nice day trip--- stay at the Wickinisha. You want to be in Tofino and you want to be at the Wickinisha. Even if I didn't spell it correctly.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,033 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me decide - Wick vs Pacific Sands

The Wick, hands down.

Port Moody, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me decide - Wick vs Pacific Sands

Beach Building at the Wick has the best views down the beach. Love the Chesterman Beach Loft Suites. You get a longer walk along Chesterman Beach than at Cox Bay at the Pacific Sands. The Beach Houses at the Pacific Sands are amazing too. Large and spacious. When we want a romantic getaway we go to the Wick. When we have the kids and dog we go to the Pacific Sands. Pointe Restaurant at the Wick is amazing and their Driftwood Cafe is now licensed. If you book the Wick make sure you book your spa appointment at the same time.

Mentioned in this post
Chesterman Beach
Chesterman Beach
1,286 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
170 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me decide - Wick vs Pacific Sands

We haven't stayed at The Wick, but rather rented a house on Chesterman Beach for the same price that we were quoted for a room there. We did have dinner and spa treatments at the hotel and both were excellent. During our trip we walked Cox Bay (the beach at Pacific Sands) and I greatly preferred Chesterman.

Mentioned in this post
Chesterman Beach
Chesterman Beach
1,286 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada