We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Tofino from Victoria

north tyneside
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Tofino from Victoria

Hi

We just got back from a tour of the rockies and vancouver and we decided we would like to go to victoria and Tofino next year. Can anyone tell me how we would get to Tofino from Victoria. We got on a BC ferry from Vancouver to Victoria this time just for a day trip and we thought it was lovely, so next time we would like to go to Victoria for a few days and then Tofino for a week. We can get to Victoria easily from the UK, I am just not sure how we would get to Tofino from Victoria, it looks like we may need to get two ferries, am I correct. We dont drive by the way.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,853 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Tofino from Victoria

http://www.tofinobus.com/

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,307 posts
444 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Tofino from Victoria

Tofino Bus, as Sam's has linked above, is your answer.

No, you only need to travel on one ferry from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay, Victoria.

On your return, if you are flying from YVR Vancouver, you do have the option of getting to Vancouver from Departure Bay in Nanaimo to Horseshoe Bay in Vancouver. Tofino Bus will drop you off at the Departure Bay ferry terminal. From Horseshoe Bay you will be able to take Bus # 257to downtown Vancouver and then transfer to the Canada Line from City Centre station at the corner of Granville Street and Georgia Street to YVR Airport. Very easy and seemless transit.

www.bcferries.com

www.translink.bc.ca

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,985 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Tofino from Victoria

Two things: 1. I would rent a car. 2. Stay for 10 days to 2 weeks.

I would spend time seeing not only Victoria and Tofino, but also visit one or two of the Gulf Islands (perhaps a kayaking trip in the National Park?), spend some time somewhere like Parksville or Courtenay, and then head up to the north island - Port McNeil, Telegraph Cove area. We visited the north island for the first time a couple of years ago (Ok, not strictly true - I've hiked Cape Scott twice, but on both those trips, we skipped the towns entirely and went directly to the trail head, so I had never spent any time touring that area). I can say unreservedly that I was completely blown away. Just gorgeous area and a must see in my books.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,307 posts
444 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Tofino from Victoria

Hi v67, the OP noted ... "We dont drive by the way." They are looking for public transit options.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,985 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Tofino from Victoria

Yes! Just saw that. Oops!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,985 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Tofino from Victoria

Ok, well, all the same, I would look at your options for getting to more of the area than just those two destinations if you can. Not having a car makes it more challenging, but I think you could look at local tours or lodges that provide transportation.

For eg:

www.toursbylocals.com/find_tour&area=34

7. Re: Getting to Tofino from Victoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2012, 16:49
north tyneside
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Tofino from Victoria

Hi everyone

Sorry its taken so long to reply. Thankyou all so much for your brilliant advice.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,985 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Tofino from Victoria

Nice to see you on here, Tourism Tofino!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Tofino from Victoria

There is orca air, Moose Tours, FaceBook group that offers rides, Craigslist or Hitch Tofino.....

I am a local..... tofitian. The transportation to and from Tofino changes regularly. Other then the standard Tofino Bus.

Edited: 03 February 2013, 00:31