We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'Must do's' in Tofino and Pacific Rim National Park

Washington USA
Level Contributor
85 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
'Must do's' in Tofino and Pacific Rim National Park

My husband and I are headed to Tofino next weekend for a short (3 day) first visit to Vancouver Island. We will have a car and love beaches and easier hikes. Are their beaches we should see? Points to visit? Museums? Historical landmarks? Best hikes? Restaurants or shops? I am expecting rain so we will be prepared for the weather. Thanks for your suggestions.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,743 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 'Must do's' in Tofino and Pacific Rim National Park

Hi TwoTeenBoys ~

Have you had a chance to look through the questions being asked and the answers given on the Tofino Forum yet? There is much information already in place for your questions. Click on the blue print "Tofino Forum" in the printing just above your avatar and check them out. In the left sidebar there are "Things to Do" that will help you decide which things appeal to you according to your interests.

Here is another website that might help you with your planning.

tofinotime.com/activities/tofinohiking.htm

Washington USA
Level Contributor
85 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 'Must do's' in Tofino and Pacific Rim National Park

Hi...thanks for your prompt reply. This is a really last minute trip so I was hoping to get a few jumping off spots. I have spent the last 2 hours exploring this forum and have a couple of things flagged to look deeper into. This coming week is Thanksgiving here in the States so free time to research is in short supply for me. Thank you for the link...I am going there now =o)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 'Must do's' in Tofino and Pacific Rim National Park

Another website that may help, in addition to those Mufti has provided -

http://www.tourismtofino.com/

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,375 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 'Must do's' in Tofino and Pacific Rim National Park

Do the rainforest trails A & B (it's even cooler in the rain)

Go to Hot Springs Cove (a half day outing via boat + 2km rainforest trail hike to natural hot springs)

Visit Wickanninish Beach and Long Beach

Drop by the Roy Henry Vickers art gallery in Tofino.

Snack on a duck confit pizza and polenta fries at Sobo in Tofino.

Washington USA
Level Contributor
85 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 'Must do's' in Tofino and Pacific Rim National Park

Thank you Robyn and Itchyfeet!

Tofino, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 'Must do's' in Tofino and Pacific Rim National Park

Hi TwoTeenBoys,

Tofino has many beautiful (public) beaches! Cox Beach, Chesterman Beach and MacKenzie beach are easily accessible and only a five-ten minute drive from town. Tonquin Beach is located in downtown Tofino and connects to a new 1.7km trail (the Lighthouse Trail) that weaves through the rainforest with some pretty spectacular lookout points.

In the Pacific Rim National Park Reserve, there is Long Beach, Combers Beach, Wickanninish Beach, South Beach and Florencia Beach (lots of options!)

As mentioned in the other replies, the National Park offers many short walking/hiking trails. Anything under the dense rainforest canopy will definitely keep you drier. The visitor centre close to Tofino has maps and up-to-date Parks Canada information.

There is also a museum on Wickaninnish Beach called the Kwisitis Visitor Centre, run by Parks Canada. I do believe they are open Fri-Sun, 11am-3pm.

I know Tourism Tofino’s website has lots of information on the area and activities to do in the rain and whatnot. (www.tourismtofino.com).

One thing I definitely would recommend before going out for any walk on the beach is to look at a tide guide (http://www.tofino-bc.com/tides/print.php) because there might not be a lot of beach to walk on during a high tide...

Have a wonderful trip!

Washington USA
Level Contributor
85 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 'Must do's' in Tofino and Pacific Rim National Park

Dear Gmauj

Thank you for the suggestions....I will do some more research on them. Thank you too for the great tide guide, I printed it out and dropping it right into my pack. =o)

Ucluelet
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 'Must do's' in Tofino and Pacific Rim National Park

The other points mentioned previously are all great.

Consider Ucluelet for part of your visit - 1/2 drive on the other side of Long Beach from Tofino:

www.wildpacifictrail.com - walking trail along a black volcanic shoreline, including Amphitrite Lighthouse

www.uclueletaquarium.org - catch and release aquarium - hands on touch tanks

My favourite trail inside the Pacific Rim National Park, Long Beach unit is the Bog Trail! My favourite beach is Florencia Bay. But, it's all beautiful!

Tofino, Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 'Must do's' in Tofino and Pacific Rim National Park

Schooner Cove! This is my favourite. Watch the tides....

10. Re: 'Must do's' in Tofino and Pacific Rim National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 15:17