We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching help needed! :)

Which Tofino hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Whale watching help needed! :)

Hi everyone! I found a groupon for a whale watching cruise in Whistler. I'd already been planning to take one in Tofino, as we'll be there early May and are hoping to see grey whales. Do you think it'd be worth it to do another cruise in Whistler as well? Would I have a better chance seeing orcas there? I'm happy to book two if it means getting the chance to see different kinds of animals.

Thanks so much!

Ashley

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Whale watching help needed! :)

Archipelago Cruises in Ucluelet. Lovely people, great boat, no rush job.

www.archipelagocruises.com

Tofino, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Whale watching help needed! :)

Any of the whale watching companies, including the water taxi, does Hot Springs Cove. All the tour operators are in the downtown core of Tofino and once parked, it is easy to walk to all of them to compare prices (~120/pp).

It is generally a 6 to 7 hour day trip so it is a long day out but totally worth it! Last summer I went to Hot Springs and we were lucky to spot a couple gray whales and a large raft of sea otters along the way. Be sure to pack a lunch and a camera for a very memorable picnic!

Have a wonderful trip!

Tofino, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Whale watching help needed! :)

To throw in my 2c - Think about the vessel a bit as well!

A zodiac is great fun & fast but also bumpy and only will give you a shallow vantage point.

Folks like Jamie's have a taller vessel, so you can look far and also straight down into the water with less reflections like you would when in a zodiac. If you want the best of both worlds I'd go with Aquatic Safaris - They just finished their own spec whale watching catamaran, that gives you speed (to jump from outing to outing) and also the vantage point. If you take the trip to Hot Spring Cove, you have a good chance to see whales, as the skippers go out of their way to make the transfer as interesting as possible.

Either way, you will have a great time here in Tofino, no matter which outfitter you end up using. One last thing - As you already stay at a magical place like the Wickaninnish Inn, how about exploring another like the Broken Island Group in Ucluelet - Sea Otters, Whale, Eagles - It's all there and Archipelago Cruises is the very best to get you there.

Cheers,

Jens

14. Re: Whale watching help needed! :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2014, 06:15