We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best camp sites?

Edmonton, Alberta...
Level Contributor
101 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best camp sites?

I'm taking a road trip to Tofino next week. Looking for a good place to camp. Any suggestions and why.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,525 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best camp sites?

Yes, there are lots of lovely campgrounds at Tofino, and they provide a full range of facilities and options. Green Point in the national park is the perennial favourite. If you are looking for something a little more high end, we stayed at Crystal Cove and I quite liked the location.

Edmonton, Alberta...
Level Contributor
101 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best camp sites?

Well I'm looking to camp fish play guitar by a fire and drink some beer. Maybe some hiking and mountain biking to. I don't like open camp grounds. I like being in the trees.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,112 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best camp sites?

Then you want Green Point. You will be in the trees. Drinking beer in your campsite only though, and quiet hours are at 11:00 at night, or is it ten??? I don't think you can fish from there though. You would need to get a license and check the regulations for sure, as they are different for every region, and different times of the year.

There are other campsites "in the trees" as well, some better than others. NO SHOWERS at Green Point though! They do have running hot water, and we take an ice cream bucket and do a sponge bath when we feel the need. Or someone complains about the smell....

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best camp sites?

Green Point is by far the best campground in the area. Unfortunately, its pretty much booked solid all summer from late June through the first week of September. There are first-come, first-serve walk-in sites though that you may be able to get if you're lucky. It is exactly half-way between Tofino and Ucluelet, with Tofino being the more exciting of the two towns. This campsite has a Bear-Campsite policy that is strictly enforced, meaning you must not have ANY bear attractants out while sleeping or away from your site. You will be kicked out of the campground if caught in violation of this policy. Its right on its own section of Long Beach, with two access paths down to the beach. The second options would be either Surf Junction Campground near Ucluelet, or Bella Pacifica Campground near Tofino.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best camp sites?

I'd recommend Bella Pacifica. I've stayed there. Sites in the trees or beachside. Pay showers and dishwashing stations. Here's a link to their website http://bellapacifica.com/

Ucluelet
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best camp sites?

Wya Point http://www.wyapoint.com/ - stunning sites right on the ocean.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best camp sites?

what you describe sounds like Kennedy Lake to e. Not Tofino exactly but just around the corner. and its FREE wilderness camping. warning though, lots of hippies and partiers. if that's your thing then you have found your people! lol

Tofino, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best camp sites?

I agree with Westcoastmotel,

You specified Tofino, but this area has so much to offer. Wya campground is technically not in the National Park and about 30 minutes away from downtown Tofino (make that 20 minutes to Long Beach) but probably the newest campground out here, located on a stunning pebble beach.

My best guess is that it will be not as crowded as Greenpoint and with the little alcoves for your tent this might give you the 'West Coast Experience' you came for.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,112 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best camp sites?

The thing with Greenpoint though, is that it doesn't even feel crowded. The campsites are mostly empty all day long as people head off to "town", the beach, or hiking. And most of them are very private.

When we were camping at Greenpoint last summer, we tried to visit the Wya campground, but we were not allowed in. Only paying guests allowed. She gave us a map and told us her favourite campsites, but no way were we allowed to even walk in to check out the beach or the sites.

Ucluelet
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best camp sites?

Take it from us, Wya is beautiful, Joan. But, they do want the area to be left to paying guests only and that will just benefit the people staying there. It is First Nations owned and one of the first endeavours the owners pursued after the treaty settlement was to build the campground last year. This camper will think it is spectacular.