We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MV Francis Barklay Boat ride to Bamfield

Which Tofino hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
MV Francis Barklay Boat ride to Bamfield

I saw on another post about taking this ferry. We will be staying in Ucluelet for 5 days and I wonder if someone could tell me more about this - it looks like it leaves from Port Alberni which is an hour and a half from Ucluelet..so we'd have to leave about 6am! It looks like there is a departure at 2pm from Ucluelet but doesn't return?? Any suggestions and wondering if this is a good day to spend out of our 5! Thanks.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,823 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MV Francis Barklay Boat ride to Bamfield

Google "Lady Rose". It is a working boat on a long cruise discharging freight and kayakers in the islands. Definitely a great way to see the area. The first 30 miles is in a long fjord then it opens to the islands, cabins, whales and fishermen.

toronto
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MV Francis Barklay Boat ride to Bamfield

That's the ferry I looked at...I just can't see it starting and returning to Ucluelet?? Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,625 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MV Francis Barklay Boat ride to Bamfield

It doesn't start from and return to Ucluelet.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,157 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MV Francis Barklay Boat ride to Bamfield

It starts from and returns to Port Alberni. We took it a number of years ago (doing the Port Alberni to Bamfield run), staying overnight in Port Alberni to do so. (It would be a very long day to drive from Ucluelet to Port Alberni to get it in the morning and then drive back to Ucluelet after the boat docks in Port Alberni in the afternoon.) It is, however, a lovely trip - beautiful scenery and an exposure to life in the small settlements along the inlet.

Edited: 21 July 2013, 18:51
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,625 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MV Francis Barklay Boat ride to Bamfield

Actually, I'm not sure if you couldn't take a one way on the ship in the afternoon from Ucluelet to PA. You would just need someone to drive to PA to collect you. You could email the company to ask if a one way is possible. They may have a fare for that.

toronto
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MV Francis Barklay Boat ride to Bamfield

Thanks all...FYI I contacted them and for future reference here's their response....

If anyone knows of some nice scenic boat tours out of Ucluelet or Tofino area, we'd love to know about it!

We actually only go to Ucluelet once on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Unfortunately our tours start from Port Alberni and end there as well so boarding in Ucluelet would mean coming to Port Alberni. I’m not aware of any other ferries in Ucluelet but you could check out the Ucluelet Visitors Centre they may have some options for you. If you have any other questions please let me know,

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: MV Francis Barklay Boat ride to Bamfield

We've had a great time(twice) with:

www.archipelagocruises.com

8. Re: MV Francis Barklay Boat ride to Bamfield

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 06:17