We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport

Leeds, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transport

Adventurous oap slight disability - what is the quickest way to ucluelet fron north vancouver - all options considered, time more of a concern than money. Travelling independently September 2014. Reneecot@gmail.com

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,177 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport

Drive from North Vancouver to the Vancouver International Airport's south terminal (1 hour, approximately) and then fly to Tofino (1 hour), then taxi to Ucluelet (30 minutes).

Leeds, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport

Thank you sorry should have said not driving, visiting from the uk, my one last attempt to whales. Renee

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport

You can take a whale watching trip from here easily enough and September is Prime Time

http://www.vancouverwhalewatch.com/

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,824 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport

The Tofino Bus would take you from Vancouver. Their schedule seems to be once a day. I believe they use several bus companies to make up the trip.

http://www.tofinobus.com/schedule

45 minutes south of Vancouver, in Steveston, there are ~6 hour round trip whale watching tours. They provide complimentary shuttles from downtown hotels. Have a look at the tour operators here:

tourismvancouver.com/do/…

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,177 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport

Good call with Tofino Bus, Mufti!

Just a minor detail about whale watching out of Steveston - the tours are 3-5 hours in length, not 6. I worked there for a summer. :) They depart at 9am and must return to Steveston for the 2pm tours. If they orcas are at the mouth of the Fraser River, the tours can be under 3 hours! If the orcas are by the Gulf Islands, then the tours are 3 hours in length. The only time the tours are 5 hours in length is if the closest orca pod is down by Victoria. All in all, it still takes up a good chunk of the day to do, but whale watching out of Steveston makes more sense than travelling all the way to Ucluelet, unless you're not seeking orcas, but are seeking grey or humpback whales.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 21:37
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,353 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport

Jamie's whale watching has locations in Tofino and Ucluelet. If you use the fly in option it is shorter to go to Tofino then going to Ucluelet. https://goo.gl/maps/4hkvs

taking the bus on the other hand, it is faster to go to Ucluelet as it goes to Ucluelet first before backtracking to make its way to Tofino(extra 45 min)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,824 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport

Thanks Robyn for the clarification of the trip times. :-)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,031 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport

I would fly rather than make the trip overland by bus.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 23:56
Leeds, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport

Thank you, yes I am seeking grey or humpback whales and now that you tell me trips re Steveston could be just three hours I may reconsider. I have three days in Vancouver i.e 10-14 Sept and am looking for something extra until I go to Ucluelet on 14th. Renee

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,824 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport

Steveston tours take you to Orcas.