We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visitor Tax Refund

Australia
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Visitor Tax Refund

Just wondering whether anyone can help with this issue. I read that Vancouver has a tax rebate system where you can get reimbursed for some of the taxes you spent in Canada.

Now I also read somewhere that this no longer exist. Which is true?

If I can get tax rebate, if I purchase a tour package here in Australia for Canada, do I qualify for the rebate on some of the taxed items? Or do I acutally have to purchase the tour in Canada inorder to qualify?

Thanks

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visitor Tax Refund

giraffez

I think you're speaking of the Goods & Services Tax Rebate program - which is for all of Canada. That program ends Apr 1st.

Details are in tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-c1391/Canada:… including the official govt link.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,161 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visitor Tax Refund

I work for a tour operator and under the older provisions tour companies were not charged the gst initially so there was nothing to rebate. If you bought goods in Canada that you were taking home you were entitled to a rebate, but you had to have $200 in total receipts and each receipt had to be over $50. Most people didn't bother cause it was a hassle. I would advise however to ONLY pick up the official rebate form at the airport. Most of the gst rebate forms you will find around are for 3rd party companies that take a healthy percent of your rebate so even if you are eligible you only get a small portion back. The government program did not charge a fee but it takes several weeks to get a check.

I did not know the entire rebate program was ending. I thought only the non chargining of gst to tour and convention groups was going to be implemented. Thanks for the heads up.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,194 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visitor Tax Refund

I can't find any confirmation on the termination of the GST refund program. Is this really true?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,194 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visitor Tax Refund

Oops. Found it! Darn!

5. Re: Visitor Tax Refund

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 11:21