We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Robson Suites Vancouver??

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oro Valley, Arizona
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Robson Suites Vancouver??

Well I just joined this forum and I am hoping it will be a useful tool as my family and I begin planning for a vacation to Vancouver in October. We are visiting to celebrate my 40th birthday and I chose Vancouver because it has always been a place I have wanted to visit. Rain or shine, I know my wife, two young daughters, and I will have a terrific stay!

I am trying to find the ideal apartment or suite lodging for our stay and I have a question about the Robson Suites. I have not noticed its name come up in this forum but the hotel website depicts a clean, centrally located, and quite affordable option. Does anyone have any information on this property. Any other suggestions for affordable suites in good locations? I would love to use the word "cheap" but honesty don't want a bad room in a bad area just to save a few dollars!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Robson Suites Vancouver??

Hello Fiji12,

I am not familiar with "The Robson Suites", however I do know of a couple on Robson and they look a little run down to be honest. I am sure they are clean though. If I could, I would suggest a couple other options for a few reasons ( I tend to recommend these options a lot):

The Lord Stanley Suites - This is right near the end of the Robson Street (on Alberni Street), area and very close to Stanley Park. It's a short walk to pretty much anywhere you like to go, yet I think its in a quieter part of the downtown core. The building is newer (you have a very good idea as to what Vancouver condos look like when staying here). Sometimes the rates can be really good, so I would most certainly suggest you stay here. There is also a continental breakfast included which is a nice way to start the day.

The Time Square apartments - This is literally at the end of Robson Street on Robson Street. Again, very close to everything. The building is a little older than the Lord Stanley suites but very well taken care of. Again, the prices here can be very reasonable sometimes.

Another one just came to mind, (actually some celebrities have stayed here while filming movies in the downtown core-you will actually see pictures as the owner has posted them in the hallways), the Pendrell Suites. Also, in downtown and close to everything. Still about a 10 minute or so walk to the Stanley Park area, you are within minutes to English Bay.

All of the above have full kitchens, kitchen stuff, separate bedrooms, and come recommended with reasonable prices.

You will have a wonderful time in Vancouver, and I wish you all the best on your 40th.

Let me know if you would like more help with the YVR area.

Cheers,

Oro Valley, Arizona
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Robson Suites Vancouver??

Good Morning TravelCritic,

Thanks so much for your advice. I will look into the three options that you provided. I agree that a location near Stanley Park would be ideal for us as my two young daughters (ages 5 and 2) would love the attractions there. My wife and I will surely enjoy the beautiful surroundings as well! I had looked up the Times Square Suites and have that one bookmarked as it looks very good.

I do have another question. Do you think it would be worthwhile to drive/ferry up the Sunshine Coast for a daytrip? The coastline looks so beautiful and I would certainly appreciate your recommendation. We are definitely planning a trip up the Sea to Sky highway and a trip over to Victoria. I also heard that the ferry over to Bowen Island might be a nice idea. Any thoughts?

Thank you again for your advice and information!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Robson Suites Vancouver??

I had never heard of the Robson Suites so looked it up on the web. Turns out it is 2 blocks from where I live and I know exactly the place. I always thought it was a condo, didn't realize it was a hotel. From the outside it looks fine. Can't tell you about the suites though. It's in a very convenient location - across from a Safeway, and there are lots of Asian markets & restaurants on the block. It's a short walk to the shopping stretch of Robson in one direction and Stanley Park in the other. One thing to note: it's directly above a McDonald's location, so if you don't want to smell the deep fryer, it might not be your best bet.

The other places that travelcritic mentioned should all be decent. I know of all of them, but have never been inside. All centrally located. The Lord Stanley is a bit off the beaten track, but only by a couple of blocks - and practically next door to Stanley Park.

Re ferry trips: Bowen Island is cute, nice day trip. If you are looking for something for more than a day, then Sunshine Coast or Saltspring Islands are probably a better bet. If you are travelling on the weekend, make sure to make a ferry reservation in advance. Not only will it guarantee you a spot, but it will save you from sitting in line for hours. See: http://www.bcferries.com/. All of the islands and the Sunshine Coast are beautiful. Haven't visited those areas all that much so can't recommend one over the other. Victoria & Sea to Sky (Whistler) are wonderful too. All of them are different and fantastic in their own right. Enjoy your vacation!

Southampton, Uk
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Robson Suites Vancouver??

Hi Fiji12,

Stayed at the Robson Suites about six years ago. Great reception area all decked out in Marble and the facilities were fine but the rooms were a little antiquated, small and stuffy. Although very clean as you would hope. Unless they have had a refit since.

Location was good though and most places were within walking distance etc. It's all about what your willing to put up with and your budget I suppose.

Other recommendations given already would be better option for you.

Take care and have a great 40th, Vancover is a interesting and diverse city with plenty to do and see.

Diamark

Oro Valley, Arizona
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Robson Suites Vancouver??

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions! I am beginning to lean more and more toward the Times Square Suites. Location, rooms, and price appear to be ideal for us. We are not even traveling until October but I am already excited about our upcoming trip!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Robson Suites Vancouver??

Hi There,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner regarding the Ferry Trips: I think it would be a fanstastic option. Bowen Island is a nice day getaway for sure. I did it last summer and thouroughly enjoyed it. We ate lunch at a local pub there (located to the right - up the hill a little as soon as you leave the ferry next to the marina). There are some great beach spots as well (about a 20 minute drive to the other end of the island). When I went, we packed a lunch with some wine and enjoyed being near the water. If you are into art, you may find some really appealing peices at some of the local artists' homes and shops. If you are bringing a car try and book the spot on the boat as soon as you can as the spaces tend to fill up quickly. (http://www.bcferries.com).

All the islands are beautiful to be quite honest, but Bowen is very close therefor you will have more time to enjoy the island. You will have a wonderful time.

The Times' Square in Vancouver for hotel choice will be great. There is a cafe right below called Bojangles (I Believe)... You couldnt be in a better location.

If you need anything else, please let me know!

Hope you had a great weekend!