We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver visit.

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
lancashire.uk
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Vancouver visit.

I have booked a charter flight with Globespan,but I am now hearing one or two adverse comments.Can anyone advise?Do any other flights fly direct from Manchester UK to Vancouver?

Would you recommend a taxi from the airport to downtown or is the coach transfer adequate?

I would like to visit Whistler.Would you recommend the Rocky Mountaineer or a coach visit?

Finally I want to have a day in Vancouver Island.Is it feasable to use the seaplane one way,and return on the coach and include a visit to Buchant gardens?

Sorry for the numerous questions,but would be grateful of any advise.

Many thanks.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver visit.

I have heard less than great things about Globespan, too, but have no first-hand experience. It looks like Air Transat has some summer flights from Manchester to Vancouver, and Zoom has a one-stop service (I am not sure where the stop is, but it is likely that it is Glasgow). If you are willing to change planes, BA is an option if you want a full-service airline, and I think Air Canada will get you there too (you would connect with BMI, I think).

I like using the coach (the Airporter), but its convenience depends on where in downtown you are going: it can take a while to reach some hotels on the route. Taxis are not much more expensive if you are more than one person sharing.

I have never been to Whistler, so don't have a good answer for you. I would personally love to try the Rocky Mountaineer.

For a one-day visit to Victoria, I would suggest that you leave out Butchart Gardens. They are nice, and interesting, etc., but you wouldn't have any time to do much else. If you fly into Victoria in the morning, you could spend most of the day simply walking around and seeing the city--well worth doing. The coach/bus ride back take around 3 hours or so.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver visit.

It looks like Air Canada will want to put you through Toronto, which is not a very efficient way to do it, so you might want to rule them out.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,351 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver visit.

Friends have used Air Transat with minor problems so they seem to be ok

I would take the bus to Whistler because of cost and because you have more options on timing of when to go and return

IMO you could do a day trip to Victoria..take the early (7am) seaplane to Vicotria Harbor, have breakfast at one of the restaurants near the Harbor..walk around Victoria downtown..visit the Royal BC Museum..then in afternoon take a bus tour to Butchart's gardens..check Butchart's web site and also Pacific Coach..they may have a tour that goes from Butchart's to the ferry.. if not you can do a tour downtown/butchart's/downtown then have dinner in Victoria and catch the last bus/ferry/bus combination back to Vancouver..it will be a full day but is doable. Depends on what time of year you come as to time of last ferry...

Canada
Level Contributor
267 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver visit.

I think a coach to Whistler is your best bet. For Vancouver Island, there are bus tours you can take that include some time downtown Victoria and sometime at Butchart Gardens. It will be a busy and long day but if you really want to see it all it is one way to go. Try the Greyhound or Pacific Coach Lines buses.

You could fly over but Butchart Gardens is a way out of the city so you need time to travel there by bus, plus the Gardens will take you several hours. It is pretty nice to visit the Garden and have afternoon tea there though. I am not sure of the coach situation from Butchart to the Ferry- but you may be able to take the coach (likely Pacific Coach lines) from the Garden to the Ferry and on to your location in Vancouver. Try the coach line websites and see what they have to offer. The other thing is to try the concierge at your hotel, they should be able to help you organize a good day trip to the Island. The flight over can be quite fun if you go that route as the small planes allow you to see everything from taking off in the Harbour in Vancouver to landing in the Harbour in Victoria.

lancashire.uk
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver visit.

Many thanks for your help,and I will do my research as you suggest and use the concierge on arrival in Vancouver.

coq
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver visit.

I was one of the people that had the globespan problem on may 4th of this year.. long delays. some people for up to 36 hours in vancouver and calgary.. they then suggested I took the flight to glasgow and they would get me to my destination of manchester.. after arriving late on the saturday night then told us to make our own way.. there were no buses or trains going so it meant a night at a hotel then the expense of getting from glasgow to manchester.. so much for the cheap flight.. research is good but you never can tell with some airlines.. I have travelled with zoom and had no problems

coq
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vancouver visit.

I was one of the people that had the globespan problem on may 4th of this year.. long delays. some people for up to 36 hours in vancouver and calgary.. they then suggested I took the flight to glasgow and they would get me to my destination of manchester.. after arriving late on the saturday night then told us to make our own way.. there were no buses or trains going so it meant a night at a hotel then the expense of getting from glasgow to manchester.. so much for the cheap flight.. research is good but you never can tell with some airlines.. I have travelled with zoom and had no problems

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
874 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vancouver visit.

Hi,

The wife and I weren't thrilled with Victoria at all.

Too many tourist trap stores downtown and the Gardens are a trip out of town. The large hotel, (Empress?) was interesting but much of it was off limits if you didn't stay there.

It's at the tip of the island and would involve more travel if you';re coming out of Vancouver.

How about a ferry to Naniamo, rent a car and drive a short distance to Cathedral Grove, an ancient rainforest right off the highway?

I hear Port Alberni is nice, at the head of an inlet that would take you to the Pacific Rim Park.

Sorry to be a bummer but if I had a day on the island, I don't think Victoria is where I would spend it.

Hope this helps, feel free to ignore if you had your heart set on Victoria. Lots of people like it, we didn't.

9. Re: Vancouver visit.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 23:17