We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moderate priced room in Vancouver

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, Ca...
Level Contributor
29 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Moderate priced room in Vancouver

My wife and I will be visiting Vancouver in a few weeks. We will not rent a car, as we like to walk the cities we visit. From reading many great postings here, it seems like this will work well in Vancouver. Our main concern is that our hotel is in a safe area, as we will be walking everywhere, including dinner at night. We also just want a clean hotel, but nothing fancy, as we would rather spend our money on food and sight seeing expenses. We had a reservation at The Barclay,chosen because of it's great location on Robson, and their low prices. I have now read many horible reviews on Trip Advisor, and I am about to cancel. We are trying to position ourselves so that we can walk to Stanley Park, Robson, Denman, Davie, English Bay, Yaletown, Chinatown, Granville Island, etc. We will use buses and taxis when necessary.

We are now looking for recommendations for a clean, comfortable, safe hotel in the downtown/west end. We are looking at The Buchan, The Kingston Hotel & B&B, The Sylvia, and The YWCA. Any thoughts on any of these choices, or any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has any comments on The Barclay before I cancel, that would be great also. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely, Paul & Cheryl

Powell River
Level Contributor
62 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moderate priced room in Vancouver

We run a B&B in Powell River so have many guests come through who have stayed in Vancouver. The Sylvia hotel seems to get many good comments from our guests. Don't know the others.

Happy holidays, Shirley.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
79 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moderate priced room in Vancouver

I hope Im not too late replying to your post. We stayed at the Barclay 18 months ago and the situation was great. We are used to camping in a caravan in New Zealand so don't mind basic as long as it is clean. True our room probably needed a paint but it was cleaned every day and the bathroom was clean. The reception was friendly and very helpful. You could get a great breakfast in their little cafe for $5. We were there 4 days and had breakfast there every day. We are back in Vancouver beginning of June and tried to book again for the Barclay but it was full. That must tell you something. However their is no lift and because we are "seniors" we asked for a ground floor room.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moderate priced room in Vancouver

Of the ones you list, the Sylvia is the one I hear most good things about too, though I have never stayed there. The location itself is amazing: right off the beach at English Bay and steps from the cafes, shops and retaurants of Denman and Davie Streets.

4. Re: Moderate priced room in Vancouver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 08:28