We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian Currency question?

London
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Canadian Currency question?

If I take Canadian dollar traveller cheques can I use them like in the US where you can purchase goods with the cheques and get your change in local currency?

Sorry if the question sounds stupid but it is my first trip to Canada.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
582 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian Currency question?

Yes, the traveller cheques work the same here in Canada as they do in the US.

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian Currency question?

You can, but they aren't popular anymore since most bank cards will allow you to take money out of your account at the current exchange rate. You can check with your bank to see which Canadian bank ATM's are compatable with yours.

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadian Currency question?

5starfan

For more ideas about Cdn money, have a look under the Inside pages of Canada for Foreign Visitors - Banks & Money under tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154943-s1/Vancouver:…

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadian Currency question?

You probably can but I've never seen anybody pay by traveler cheques. Your better bet would be to bring them to a bank and have it cashed there. There might be a fee involved. Easier would be to pay by credit card as it's accepted pretty much everywhere though some smaller places and restaurants are cash only.

St Albans, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
495 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadian Currency question?

As a tourist the advantage of travellers cheques is that, at least in the USA - I don't know about Canada- they can be cashed without charge. If you withdraw from an ATM there are ususly two charges, the ATM bank charges a fee for the withdraw and the card bank charges a fee for overseas use. Travellers cheques are much cheaper to use

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
582 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadian Currency question?

Very true. Travellers cheques do have the advantage of no charge cashing. There should be no problem using them anywhere as they are just as good as cash. Someone posted that they have never seen someone use a traveller's cheque. They must not travel much. They are still universal and accepted almost anywhere. The original poster here I hope isn't discouraged about travellers cheques.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canadian Currency question?

Note that the nationwide building society do not charge commision on foreign currency transactions with their credit cards, with other UK card providers 2.5% is quite common. I think under the sale of goods act you also have a claim against the credit card company should something go wrong with your purchase even if bought abroad.

London
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canadian Currency question?

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I do have a Nationwide card and use this when I travel abroad.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,140 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canadian Currency question?

I work in Canada in summer and my company gives me traveler checks to cash. They are a major hassle. If the hotel takes them they don't give you a good exchange rate. If you go to a bank or a currency shop they still charge you a fee and give less than a favorable exchange. You'd be better to investigate what your home bank will charge on foreign charge transactions as well as on ATM withdrawl fees. If you take out a $100-200 at a time I think its better to pay the $6 fee or whatever than to mess with the traveler checks.

10. Re: Canadian Currency question?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 03:19