We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian Currency Question

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mexico
Level Contributor
227 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Canadian Currency Question

Hi.

My brother travelled to Canada in 1999 and he kept some canadian dollars. We´re are gonna travel again but we´ve noticed that currency has changed.

Maybe my question sounds strange but is this old currency still accepted in Canada? In order to take them with us.

Thank You in advance for your responses.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
156 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian Currency Question

Old currency remains valid, even if the design changes. Canadian bills and coins are constantly being redesigned. It's not unusual to have a handful of quarters that all look slightly different.

Even the old one and two dollar bills (that were replaced with one and two dollar coins) are still legal - just that shopkeepers may give you some strange looks if you use them.

p.s. If the currency you have is from 1999, I doubt anyone would notice any difference.

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian Currency Question

Rocco

If a merchant is hesitant to take any of your old currency, stop into a bank when in Canada. Old Canadian currency is certainly legal tender!

3. Re: Canadian Currency Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 12:22